Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Need bracket for a Honda 9.9hp 4-stroke long shaft

Author Need bracket for a Honda 9.9hp 4-stroke long shaft
Paul Close
Reno, NV

Boat Name: Another Snafu

Model/Year: O'day 25 Shoal Keel/CB 1979

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Tahoe
04/27/2006 11:27 AM Pacific Time

Hi - someone recomended the Garhauer 4 spring, but i can't find any specifications to help decide if this the right bracket for this motor. They don't seem to list it on the Garhauer web site. Any help would be appreciated.

btw, from the picture i think i have an old Garhauer 2 spring now. An old 9.9 2-stroke chrysler was on it. I've gone up about 30 pounds and a lot more torque.
thanks - paul
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
04/27/2006 12:17 PM Pacific Time

all you have to do is look in the chandlery here and you'll find what your looking for, besides its the only place you can buy it.
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
04/27/2006 12:33 PM Pacific Time

I found a great deal on a used one at Craigslist.org. It's worth keeping an eye out for one there or on eBay.

David
Paul Close
Reno, NV

Hull No.

04/27/2006 12:57 PM Pacific Time

my old bracket rasies up when i put the honda in reverse. It's pretty old, but still, do the new ones do that?

Also, i was looking for the mounting dimensions and throw (travel) but do not see those listed in the description on this site. am i missing something?
thanks again
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
04/28/2006 6:04 AM Pacific Time

Dear Snafu - First, please fill in the rest of your profile, so we know who you are, what model you have and where you sail. The profile helps sometimes in tailoring the answers to your questions.

The mount you are seeking is sold by Catalina Direct. Go to http://tinyurl.com/j28g5
Paul Close
Reno, NV

Hull No.

04/28/2006 10:22 AM Pacific Time

okdoky - complete my profile and you can see that i own an alien craft. On the other hand, the previous owner used some great Catalina ideas to improve her, like moving the traveler above the cabin versus in the companionway. Lots of nice C 22s here at the lake.

Anyways, sure would appreciate some advice/critique of this mount.
Cheers - P
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
04/28/2006 6:26 PM Pacific Time

I think Lowell of Catalina Direct give you the best information as he talks to people all day long about sailboats and probably has a lot of input on motor brackets. I'm pretty sure he sells the Gauhauer four spring, so he must know something about it.
Craig Burlette
St Louis MO

Boat Name: Toujours ete'

Model/Year: C22 / 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Saint Louis MO
04/29/2006 1:41 AM Pacific Time

Paul

You say you've gone up 30 lbs from a 9.9hp motor, and more torque? What kind of motor are you talking about? It sounds like a 4 stroke 15hp motor, but that is way overkill for most 22' sailboats, even if it isn't a C22!

"btw, from the picture i think i have an old Garhauer 2 spring now. An old 9.9 2-stroke chrysler was on it. I've gone up about 30 pounds and a lot more torque.
thanks - paul"
Craig Burlette
St Louis MO

Boat Name: Toujours ete'

Model/Year: C22 / 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Saint Louis MO
04/29/2006 1:49 AM Pacific Time

Sorry guys, I should have read the question-you have a Honda 9.9. I had a Honda 5hp 4 stroke and it did weigh much more than my current 5hp 2 stroke, and had much more torque. It had enough torque that it would twist the mount and cause the boat to change headings by 30 degrees depending on how much power I was using. So yes it sounds like a larger bracket is necessary, even bigger than the Garhauler.
Paul Close
Reno, NV

Hull No.

04/29/2006 8:58 AM Pacific Time

Craig,
Actually your point is a good one. Even though Snafu is pretty heavy (4500#) the 9.9 honda is more motor than she needs. She had a very old 9.9 chrysler 2 stroke when i got her, so i figured i was just doing a replacement. But 4 strokes are quite a bit stronger (live and learn). A 5hp might have been fine and would have kept the weight down. I wanted a honda for the quality and because it put out twice as many amps as other rigs. The 8hp was the same weight and just a little less money, so i went with the 9.9.

I ordered the four spring from the nice people at teh store and should have it early next week. Hope to get her in the water shortly after that. Tahoe is looking pretty nice these days! I hear that i might need to pull off a spring, we'll see.
Thanks for your comments - paul

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Need bracket for a Honda 9.9hp 4-stroke long shaft