Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / How do I keep my knot meeter clean?

Author How do I keep my knot meeter clean?
Dave Amundson
League City, Texas

Boat Name: Dove

Model/Year: Wing Keel /1989

Hull No. 14897

Hailing Port: Galveston Bay
05/01/2006 6:05 AM Pacific Time

Last evening I took my C-22 (wing keel) out for a run around Galveston Bay. To my surprise my knot meter wasn’t reading any speed. I have to admit that it has been a couple of weeks since she has been out of her slip but I didn’t expect the knot meter to be dirty already (I was just out of the water for a bottom job and cleaned the knot meeter at that time). I plan on pulling the plug this evening and cleaning the paddlewheel but I have a question. Dose anybody have any good home remedies for keeping the paddlewheel clean. I think I heard one guy in the boatyard mention something about using Vaseline on it, any other good ideas?
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
05/02/2006 7:07 AM Pacific Time

There are several products in the West Marine catalog that work for me. Chose one that is designed to keep depth sounders clean. Of course the obvious answer is that you are just not sailing enough!!!! ;>}
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
05/02/2006 9:59 AM Pacific Time

I don't have a knotmeter in my C22 but even though we sailed at least once a week in the summer, we always took the paddle wheel out and put the flush on the outside plug in. Only left it in over night if we were sailing Saturday and Sunday.
Just seems natural, we got to where we could change it out and only get 2 qt. of water in the boat to sponge up. At first we would be getting up to a gallon, but even that is not a monumental task to sponge out.
Al Ge
Jack
Virginia

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/03/2006 8:37 AM Pacific Time

Are you removing the paddlewheel while the boat is in the water?
Jack Heisler
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
05/03/2006 2:19 PM Pacific Time

Jack, I do the same as Al about twice a year to clean the paddlewheel when it is fouled. It's a bit unnerving the first few times, but yes, I purposely open the through hole below the waterline with the boat in the water.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
05/04/2006 5:22 AM Pacific Time

Yes indeed, I would open the hole and change out the paddle wheel----and every racer I knew did that except one, and he complianed about it not working very well except after a haul out and bottom job. We would have the bottom cleaned by a diver every other week, so it would have been hazardous if the diver scrubbed it off or accicentally broke it. Self preservation.
Al Ge

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / How do I keep my knot meeter clean?