Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Topside paint quantities

Author Topside paint quantities
Doug Allinger
Sandy, UT

Boat Name: Forbidden Love

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 10192

Hailing Port: Salt Lake City
05/11/2006 10:11 PM Pacific Time

I'm preparing for a complete restoration of my 1982 C22, beginning with the topside and deck paint. I've stripped all the hardware off the boat and am starting the cleaning/sanding/fairing stage.

I'm having a hard time determining how much paint I'm going to need, though. I'm considering either the Awlgrip 2-part or Interlux Perfection. I don't want to come up short on paint, but as these paints are pretty expensive, I don't want to buy more than I need.

I'd be grateful for any experienced observations:

Which of these paints would you recommend?

How much primer will I need for the whole boat (excluding bottom)?
How much paint will I need for the hull?
How much paint will I need for the deck/cockpit?

Thanks!
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
05/12/2006 6:12 AM Pacific Time

I think that the AWLGrip is about the best there is available. It was developed for commerical aircraft to combat the corrosiveness of Skydrol hydralic fluid which was eating off epoxy paints. Also, though expensive, a quart will do your whole boat, which will mix to a half gallon. I have used it in both the brush and spray type cataylist. The biggest problem that I had was starting early enough in the morning so that it would be dry before the dew settled in at night while working at the dock. I wound up with 3 coats before I finally was able to cover the deck to keep the dew off, it would fog the coat and it just wasn't shinny. When I got my shop and painted inside I had no problems. Follow the directions, the first coat 'flash' you will be able see through, not to worry, the second coat in 20 minutes will cover it nicely, and when it dries it will be harder than a banker's heart.
I painted the boot top with AWLgrip, the yard would not use it on the hull and used Interlux instead, 1979, two years later there was an oil spill in the harbor and it got on both paints. I wiped them both with paint thinner, the boot top came off and was still shinny, the hull was dull enough that the oil stained hull.
If you use the brushing cataylist, I found I could still use the mixed paint a week later, which I did to get more coats on a new mast step once. I could not mix a small enough quanity for just one coat of the small area.
For what it's worth,
I like it,
Al Ge
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
05/14/2006 1:37 PM Pacific Time

Whatever you do be careful with paints like Awlgrip and Imron. They are nasty things. Make certain you and everyone around you is wearing proper repiratory gear.

R. C. Luiken
Doug Allinger
Sandy, UT

Boat Name: Forbidden Love

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 10192

Hailing Port: Salt Lake City
05/17/2006 4:56 AM Pacific Time

Thanks, guys. I've decided to go with the Awlgrip. FYI: Their technical support guy, Ted, was extremely helpful in going through the products to ensure that I ordered the right ones and also that I understand the process.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Topside paint quantities