Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Topping Lift

Author Topping Lift
Peter
Monkton Vermont

Boat Name: Evonce

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1977

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Charlotte, Vermont
05/14/2006 11:38 AM Pacific Time

I installed a topping lift set-up that I bought from Catalina Direct. The lift is fixed at the mast head and adjustable via the tail of the boom. Problem is when I am on a broad reach, the boom lifts and this creates lots of slack in the lift, which then waves about in the breeze, very un-Bristol fashion. As the lift adjustment is, by design, on the boom, it is impossible to reach it to trim. Perhaps I've installed this the wrong way. Any help is appreciated.
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
05/15/2006 6:52 AM Pacific Time

Hi Peter,

It sounds like you need a boom vang. This is a block and tackle rig that attaches to the foot of the mast and out a little ways on the boom. This problem has nothing to do with your topping lift that I can see. you use the vang tension to keep the boom from lifting under certain conditions and it allows you more control over the shape of the sail.

Greg
Reggie Keith
Houston, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No. 1803

Hailing Port: Galveston, TX
05/16/2006 2:27 PM Pacific Time

Boom vangs are great! Much better than a topping lift
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
05/17/2006 1:35 PM Pacific Time

Boom vang is a must in my opinion. Some people use an extra long topping lift line and lead it forward along the boom to the mast and then down to a block and back to the cockpit. If your boom vang is properly set and you still have too much slack you can go from the reach to close hauled to get the boom back in the cockpit, tighten your topping lift, and then go back onto a reach. I think as a new "toy" to your boat, you just need a little experience with it and some tweaking.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
05/17/2006 11:00 PM Pacific Time

Hi Peter - It looks like everyone has missed a key point. A boom topping lift controls the height of the boom. It's force is upward. The only reason it is adjustable at all is to get the boom up out of the way when you lower the main sail.

A boom vang, on the other hand also controls the boom, but it's force is DOWNWARD. The vang keeps the boom from lifting on a reach or a run when the mainsheet cannot do so. It also holds the boom down during a gybe so that it does not catch on the backstay.

If you can afford it, I would recommend you install a boom kicker AND a vang. The boom kicker consists of a couple of fiberglas rods that hold the boom up. The vertical position of the boom can be controlled by adding or releasing tension on the vang working against the force of the rods. At the boom vang is tightened, the rods bend and allow the end of the boom to move downward. As the vang tension is released the rods straighten and force the end of the boom upward.

The boom kicker works especially well in light air when the weight of the boom and mainsheet pull down on the leech of the main sail and close the leech, thereby causing degraded performance of the mainsail

Get a vang for safety and a boom kicker for added mainsail control without need of rigging a topping lift.
Stuart
Red Bank NJ

Boat Name: Across the Universe

Model/Year: 22/1985

Hull No. 13077

Hailing Port: Fair Haven, NJ
05/18/2006 10:46 AM Pacific Time

Dick,

I am interested in getting a boom kicker and removing the topping lift. Do you know if the one CD sells for $150 is easily removed to allow raising the pop top. The good thing about the baisc vang is that it simply clips on.

Thanks,
Stuart
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
05/18/2006 7:23 PM Pacific Time

the boom kicker works with a vang. you still use the vang to make the adjustments of how much you want the boom to kick up. to pop your top you have to slack or remove your vang, so you're all ready to lift the boom kicker out of the bracket to pop the top. no tools required.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Topping Lift