Electrical

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / vhf and voltage drop

Author vhf and voltage drop
Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/14/2006 2:41 PM Pacific Time

I'm so close to finally launching my boat - one problem to solve. I've installed a new vhf radio (Icom M-302). When I turn the radio on, I get a low battery message - my voltmeter indicates less than 10 volts is actually getting to the radio.

What is strange is that when I check the wires leading to the radio from the panel without the radio attached, I am getting 12 volts. But as soon as I attached the radio and turn it on, it drops to less than 10. So it doesn't seem to be a loose or corroded connection, nor inadequate wire gauge. I even tried hot wiring from the incoming line to the lead for the radio, but no luck. I am using a bus bar for the ground.

Any suggestions/advice? I'm at a loss for why this is happening. What is also interesting is that there seems to be residue voltage in the line from the radio after it shut it off that slowly declines over time. Also, the voltage measured from the battery after the radio is switched off doesn't immediately jump back to 12 volts, but takes a minute or two to increase from 10 volts back to 12.

Note that as the mast isn't up yet, the coax only runs from the radio to the thru deck connector. It isn't the battery is it? The battery did hold a charge of 12 volts over the winter months.
Ken Dula
Fletcher, N.C.

Boat Name: Second Wind

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1977

Hull No. 7697

Hailing Port:
05/14/2006 4:47 PM Pacific Time

I'm thinking bad battery....
paul osborne
Lima NY

Boat Name: Emy Lyn II

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Rochester
05/15/2006 4:25 AM Pacific Time

I'd put the charger on the battery, if it is not sealed ck the water. try again after the charge, if the same , looks like time for a new one.

Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
05/15/2006 6:49 AM Pacific Time

Hi Bill,

There are a number of possibilities. I would check the voltage at the battery before turning on the radio and after. You will get the actual voltage without the wires that way.

There is a possibility that your battery is bad. A simple check that you can do at home is to take your voltmeter and check each individual cell. You do this by taking the filler caps off and setting your meter to a low scale like five volts. Start at the negative terminal end and put your negative probe into the acid in the cell and the positive probe into its neighboring cell. You should read 2 volts or something close. Then move the probes up putting the negative probe into the one the positive probe was in and check that reading. do this for the entire battery. If you get an extremely low reading on one cell, that cell is shorted out or dead and not providing power and the battery is bad. This test should take place with a fully charged battery.

Another test is to do an ohms test (resistance) on the wiring from the battery to the radio connection. set your ohm meter to its lowest scale and check each wire individually. There should be no measurable resistance or at least less than one ohm in the wiring.

The slowly fading voltage is because there are capacitors in the radio that store electricity during use and slowly bleed it off when power is turned off.

Good luck

Greg
steve smith
rothesay nb canada

Boat Name: all hours

Model/Year: 1975?

Hull No. 4928

Hailing Port: rothesay yacht club
05/16/2006 10:40 AM Pacific Time

Try something with a similar pwr draw(small tv,radio) same problem...battery.The bat in my truck was suspicious so I turned on lights and wipers(ignition off) the charge dropped from 13.60 to 9.9....bad bat.

Electrical
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / vhf and voltage drop