Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / What bottom paint?

Author What bottom paint?
Chuck Bennett
Dothan, Alabama

Boat Name: Mya Scape

Model/Year: C-22SK 1982

Hull No. 10592

Hailing Port: Bagby Marina, Lake Eufaula, Ft. Gaines, Georgia
02/03/2004 7:39 PM Pacific Time

I know that this topic has been discussed numerous times but, what would be the best ablative bottom paint for a boat that is kept in a slip up to 10 months a year? By the way, it's in freshwater.
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
02/05/2004 5:43 AM Pacific Time

I used CPC from "West Marine" is made by the same company that makes the higher cost Interlux paints. It seems to be working well. I did prep with 7 coats of West System Epoxy barrier coat + copper for secondary long-term abatement & blister elimination.

Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX
C 22 #13059
Over Keel

Chuck Bennett
Dothan, Alabama

Boat Name: Mya Scape

Model/Year: C-22SK 1982

Hull No. 10592

Hailing Port: Bagby Marina, Lake Eufaula, Ft. Gaines, Georgia
02/05/2004 3:33 PM Pacific Time

Bob,
I looked up CPC and I found CPP, is this what you meant? What about VC17 with teflon by Interlux, is it as good as they claim?
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
02/06/2004 6:33 AM Pacific Time

Yes, it is probably “CPP” which is a good cheap in and out of the water long-term bottom paint. Paint is dripped over the label. Yes the VC - 17 is one of the best, I just hate to pay their prices & use their special high cost thinners. If Interlux would say, acetone, alcohol, or turpentine based thinner/cleaner then I might not have such a problem with their products.

I am not a painter, however most of my Auto body shop friend say they hate & will not use Marine paints because they are made with ancient patented technology. When painting my boat’s topside with Interlux w/Teflon I was amazed that I had to wait & sand between coats. Most any other paint allows for tacky over coating.

Have fun painting,

Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX
C 22 #13059
Over Keel

Philip Gresham
Lewisville, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Cat 22/1972

Hull No. 3165

Hailing Port: Lake Lewisville
04/27/2004 11:47 AM Pacific Time

My hindsight is much better than my foresight, so this is just for peace of mind. Has anyone used Micron CSC ablative paint. I have just finished the bottom job, and had decided to go with that without getting an opinion.
Louis Plaisance
PRAIRIEVILLE, LA

Boat Name: Saint Benedict

Model/Year: C22/1988

Hull No. 14686

Hailing Port: Lake PONTCHARTRAIN, LA
04/27/2004 7:59 PM Pacific Time

Hello Phillip,

I layed three coats of the micron CSC on my little boat almost two years ago. He stayed wet for 13 months before I hauled out this past November. There was a bare spot at the tip of the keel where it had dragged the bottom, other wise almost perfect. I did add a fresh coat at the waterline just to make nice before splash. This is GREAT stuff.

ljp
Man....I love that little boat.
Philip Kirk
Chicago, IL

Boat Name: Quick Response

Model/Year: C22 1984

Hull No. 12521 - Fixed Keel

Hailing Port: Chicago, IL
11/01/2004 12:59 PM Pacific Time

Chuck, I use Interlux VC-17 in Lake Michigan and we just pulled out the boat after 7 months. It works like a champ - one pressure wash and the boat's hull is great. The Interlux products are expensive but the boat is small so its not that much cost for the savings in work! Plus, if you watch the calendar at all the boat stores they usually have one good day of sales and you can get the paint for a little less expense.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / What bottom paint?