Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / spinnaker pole length

Author spinnaker pole length
thomas leonard
indianapolis

Boat Name: cat paw

Model/Year: cat 22' 1978

Hull No.

Hailing Port: indianapolis
05/17/2006 6:07 AM Pacific Time

Is there only one spinnaker pole lenth for the c-22?

Is there a diagram to look at for hardware on the deck for topping lift, ect?

what is the length of spinn pole?

thanks
tom leonard
indy
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
05/18/2006 10:09 AM Pacific Time

I don't know about class rules, but for PHRF the pole can be no longer than the J diminsion. Mast to headstay tack.
Usually, a topping lift is used to hold the pole until the sail is up. This can be a halyard from the middle of a bridle from ench end of the pole, or from just the outboard end, the problem with the latter is that the halyard needs to come from higher than the spreaders, to give enough leverage. Look at http://www.fleet47.com/ I think Gene Ferguson has pictures of a very fancy rig so that his 90 lb wife, Cathy, can jibe the spinnaker from the cockpit. Really, great.
Al Ge

Lucas, TX

Boat Name: Hummingbird

Model/Year: '72

Hull No. 1110

Hailing Port: Lake Levon, TX
06/05/2006 5:08 PM Pacific Time

Tom,

The length of the C22 class legal Spin pole is 8 feet including the ends.

You can make it complex or simple. Mine is simpley a 1 1/2 inch Aluminum tube with Ronstan dingy ends. I used 3/16 in Spectra line for the bridle. The whole set up cost me only about $100.

I have a heavier one but my crew prefers the light simple one.

Good Sailing, Pete Harper

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / spinnaker pole length