Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Just completed weldment refit and ameture keel refinishing , feel free to ask questions

Author Just completed weldment refit and ameture keel refinishing , feel free to ask questions
Mike Sytsma
Gainesville, Fl

Boat Name: Sapphire II

Model/Year: C22 1976

Hull No. 6576

Hailing Port: Gainesville
05/19/2006 5:11 PM Pacific Time

Hello,
I bought my first C22 in october, and she was a great boat! I loved that boat and fixed everything I could, but over spring break I was trailering her to Destin Fl and had a flat, trailer fell apart, and she rolled across I 10 outside of Tallahassee. I was heartbroke, but myself and truck were untouchedand I loved that boat, so I found the nearest, cheapest C22 I could find. The boat that died was 8196
Problem was, the keel was detached, and it looked like the keel bolts were all snapped off in the hull. Well, I'm one who takes a challenge and beats it. I took the boat and keel home, and I've been finishing the keel for a month and it's almost finished. I decided to redo the weldments after realizing the weldment metal was shot. It took only 4 hours to grind the bad weldments free. I knocked and drilled them out from below, and they were essentially swiss cheese. They had cracks all through them and were destroyed. Also, somebody had poorly fixed a weldment mounting area, so I ground that out and filled w/ chopped glass and epoxy.
I put the new weldments in today with lots of fumed silica epoxy putty and then lots of glass. Epoxy is cured now and everything looks good, let's hope she floats.
Tomorrow I'm buying a replacement trailer, and hopefully in a few days i'll see how waterproof she really is. Once she's on the new trailer I'll get to see how hard it is to hang the keel.
I'm also working on some blister repairs, and the hull has those rotten wood boards in the bilge, what a dumb idea!
Let me know if you have questions about the repair
bye
Mike
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
05/20/2006 3:16 PM Pacific Time

Mike - This is probably not going to help now, but Catalina suggests removing the weldments from the top - ie. from inside the bilge down. Shave off the glass over the weldment from inside the bilge. This saves the integrity of the hull. I have the engineering drawings of the process if anyone is interested - [email protected]

Paul
Stuart
Red Bank NJ

Boat Name: Across the Universe

Model/Year: 22/1985

Hull No. 13077

Hailing Port: Fair Haven, NJ
05/28/2006 3:29 PM Pacific Time

Mike, I have a problem with my boat that I think may require one or more weldments to be replaced. Any assistance appreciated. Pictures of the crack can be found at:

http://www.monmouth.com/user_pages/shamer/sailing/Crack.jpg
http://www.monmouth.com/user_pages/shamer/sailing/Crack_Lg.jpg

The first picture is low resolution and the second is a high resolution close up (about 700K). There are some small crystals down there also. I don't know what they are.

Paul - I emailed you to see if you could send me a copy of the replacement procedure.

If anybody else has suggestions please post them here email me at
[email protected]

Thanks,
Stuart

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/29/2006 7:53 AM Pacific Time

Stuart,

The picture of your keel hanger shows it install upside down.

Here's a picture of them installed correctly:

http://catalina22fleet20.home.comcast.net/news/rpts/200604/200604.htm
Stuart
Red Bank NJ

Boat Name: Across the Universe

Model/Year: 22/1985

Hull No. 13077

Hailing Port: Fair Haven, NJ
05/29/2006 6:31 PM Pacific Time

Dale,

I added that picture to the website after looking at some other sites and saw they were flush - not sticking out like mine. I can imagine having them in this configuration could have caused additional stress on the weldments. The previous owner had the keel serviced by a boatyard - new pin etc.

My current plan is to take off the keel, check the weldments for rigidity (It may just be one that needs attention), and then either replace or add support to the weldments. And then of course put the hangers back in the correct orientation.

I'm not sure if I want to attempt this on my own or get the yard to do it.

Any further suggestions/comments? Thanks,

Stuart
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
05/30/2006 9:36 PM Pacific Time

Hey everybody. A year ago someone put me onto a photo library they were just starting up. Having nothing better to do than think about sailing I created a suite of folders and posted photos and line drawings (including the one I sent out in response to the weldment repair thread). Have a look at:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/c22_photos/my_photos

Bookmark it for future reference and add photos and drawings of your own for all of us to share.

Paul / Reflections

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Just completed weldment refit and ameture keel refinishing , feel free to ask questions