Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Why do we do this?

Author Why do we do this?
Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Boat Name: Joyful

Model/Year: 1977 C22

Hull No. 7200

Hailing Port: Plunder Bay Orwell VT
05/21/2006 3:36 AM Pacific Time

Why do we do this?
After several years of reading this forum, I Ask myself why do we all put so much money and effort into a boat that is over 30 years old.
The Catalina 22 of the 70s and 80s is one of the hardest to find and the most sought after yet I see ads where people are selling their mark22 for an older classic.

For me it’s the wood and feel of comfort as you step down into the cabin, or cooking on the slide out galley, coffee in the morning while sitting on the step and tuning the old VHF.
So is Catalina missing the mark here!
Why not go back and build this classic again but with modern methods, upgrades and improvements that we owners have certainly worked out and refined. Take the best of the best and place it in the classic.
Put it on a good galvanized trailer that tows well and sell it cheaper than a car.
I know this can be done. Just get rid of the 10 models in the 8-25 foot range, give us a well-built 22 and 25 fully equipped. I will give you my check, and keep my 1977 Catalina 22 to boot.
Get rid if that metal pole in the middle and the bench seats that look like old bus seats give us back a camping interior with the warmth and comfort of the old. . Build it with the same quality and pride that the old ones where.
Something I don’t get in the new. With gas prices as high as they are Catalina will revive a classic and make a good profit.
So why do we all put so much money and effort into a boat that is over 30 years old.

Just my thoughts, what about yours.

Uwe
Roger Richter
Bloomington, WI

Boat Name: NAVY - TOO

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1978

Hull No. CTYH8241M78F

Hailing Port: Prairie du Chien, WI
05/21/2006 9:45 AM Pacific Time

Uwe, You have made my day and made me feel better about refitting and refurbishing my 78 Catalina 22 that I bought about six months ago. I am 69 and getting stiff in the joints, so all the work I have been doing is more than I bargained for. But since the 78 is such a classic, I now feel better about getting her back in as good a shape as I can. Her previous owner was a slob as far as keeping her clean and in tip top shape. Not only am I refurbishing the boat, but also the trailer, with new paint, winch, rollers, tires, etc. I always wondered why so many sailers talked about or had this vintage of a sailboat. So, as the boat and trailer keep looking better, I keep felling better about her. By the way, although I have been on the water in one form or another for most of my life, this is my first venture into sailing. Hope I haven't waited too long to enjoy sailing. Roger
Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Hull No. 7200

05/21/2006 10:42 AM Pacific Time

Thank you Roger for your thoughts
I’m looking forward to our other owners thoughts out there
You made the right choice.
Sailing is therapy and my wife always says, “I need therapy”

Uwe
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
05/21/2006 11:19 PM Pacific Time

Uwe - At the risk of offending most of you, I love my 'big boy' new style, and the lines and layout below are what I consider the best of the breed. If I were a racer I'd lean to the old style boat, but as a cruiser, I really like my 'floating caravan' (as a racing yachtie called my boat once), with its teak, full table and other amenities. Like you, I would love a new replacement of my 'big boy', but wouldn't go for the latest model either. Oh yeah, and I'd probably take a wing keel too.

Paul
Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Hull No. 7200

05/22/2006 3:34 PM Pacific Time

Thank you Paul
The wing keel may be the better verses the swing. My keel is a high maintenance item that requires inspection each year The washers always corrode and must be replaced each year I recommend other swing keel owners do this religiously hope someone at Catalina is reading this string and have their input
Thanks for your input.
Bill Rapp
Nixa, MO

Boat Name: Beagle

Model/Year: C 22 1984

Hull No. 12442

Hailing Port: Stockton, MO
05/22/2006 3:59 PM Pacific Time

I did a good bit of research before buying a little used, but highly neglected, C 22 outside of Lawrence Kansas last fall. When I arrived to inspect a $3,400.00 boat the price was quickly reduced to $850.00 after finding the cockpit under water as well as about 24 inches (no joke) of water in the cabin. The was as yet undiscovered marine growth and animals living in the gloomy dark bilges.The tires were rotted as well as the wiring (both the trailer and the boat). To boot, someone installed a bilge pump and ran the through hull discharge into the cockpit?? Needless to say, I will probably not be sailing until fall due to my work schedule. I will have the satisfaction of putting the boat back into service and knowing it well should something go wrong. The boat is well constructed, the basics are good (well not the bulkheads). I remain shaking my head though as to why I am doing this. My friends like to joke about the boat sitting outside my office window, but at the same time they are curious and have offered to join in the restoration and in the joy of sailing (which I am new to).
While trying to decide what boat to buy, my research pointed to a Catalina 22. The reasons are too numerous to list here but briefly, parts availability, technical assistance availability, and others, like me, suffering from this same illness to share experiences and offer advice.
I could have written a check for a new boat and be sailing right now, but somehow something sould be missed.
Sick, no?
steve smith
rothesay nb canada

Boat Name: all hours

Model/Year: 1975?

Hull No. 4928

Hailing Port: rothesay yacht club
05/22/2006 6:53 PM Pacific Time

Sounds like Bill has a lot to do,mine was real dirty when I found her but not to that degree...labour of love....about the keels,I was pleasently surprised to find how well the 22 tracked to windward with the drop keel.Being a racer on bigger boats performance is big with me and I thought I wouldn't be happy but I'd live with it.Not the case at all and a friend watch us sail to an island a mile away and was also impressed.
On the other hand a local has a hunter23 wing keel and it sails sideways.I don't know about the c22 wing keels...maybe a better design??but I'm thinking a much longer water line is a must for good performance with wings.There is a c&c44 here with a wing keel and it tracks perfectly and fast.
Anyway...I'll do the yearly keel maintenance to keep from sailing sideways...
Lynn W Larremore
Phoenix, AZ

Boat Name: Tortuga Pirate

Model/Year: 1972

Hull No. 1651

Hailing Port: Clear Lake, TX
05/26/2006 7:20 PM Pacific Time

Hey, Bill-
I'd take those guys up on assisting in restoring your boat.
They'll take a bit of personal pride out of it with a bit of ownership "in their minds" & you'll probably have a ready crew for whatever type sailing you do since they already have an investment. That's pretty close to how I got started in sailing & I'm on my third restoration.
For me, half the fun of owning a boat is being able to restore/rebuild/"tear it up & do it again better".
Sailing's kinda cool, too!! Even in the summer.
Lynn Larremore
Tortuga Pirate
C22 #1651
Houston/ClearLake, TX
Lynn W Larremore
Phoenix, AZ

Boat Name: Tortuga Pirate

Model/Year: 1972

Hull No. 1651

Hailing Port: Clear Lake, TX
05/26/2006 7:36 PM Pacific Time

This is OFF TOPIC, but it's good to hear from Paul David again.
Must be the start of Fall sailing in AussieLand.
You've been missed this year on Chip Ford's Forum @ [email protected]. We really do need ya back so we can have our International forum again! Right!
The web address has changed, in case you're not aware.

Lynn Larremore
Tortuga Pirate
C22 #1651
Houston/ClearLake, TX

greg klein
hotsprings, arkansas

Boat Name: elena

Model/Year: 1977 c27

Hull No. 3477

Hailing Port: brady mountain marina,lake ouacita
06/08/2006 7:49 PM Pacific Time

i had always been a fast,tippy,boat kind of sailor until i found my c22. none of my friends liked sailing in my scows. our marina was bought out and had an auction of abandon and other boats. here was mine. c22 sitting on rotted trailor bunks with one through the hull, app 14in hole. cabin full of gas and water and dead mice nd other cratures and trash. i got it for $375.00. i have since refurbished the whole boat and love it. i had a friend like it so much he wanted a cruiser so we found him a venture 21. after the summer he sold it because he said it didnt have the homey feel and didnt sail like mine. that is my 22 story. never sailed cruisers before now i wont part with my baby.
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
06/08/2006 11:21 PM Pacific Time

Lynn - Thanks for the kind words. It's kind of wierd but I really miss you guys (and gals) over on Chip's site. I learned so much from you all, and felt like I established something of a friendship with the lot of you. Yep, it's winter all right. Dipping down to a chilly 40deg F, which is our winter low. Sailed last weekend and I'd get out again this w/e too but it's nasty and cold - wind off Antarctica. Well, you may have convinced me to drop back in - see you soon.

Aussie Paul from Lat 38 South
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
06/08/2006 11:51 PM Pacific Time

Hi Greg - I too had a Venture 21. I bought it, because I thought I could not afford a Catalina 22. That was in 1975. Our club used to have moonlight sails on the night of the full moon. We would launch at sundown and sail moon paths for several hours and then tie up to the club picnic area for a pot luck supper. Sometimes we would have a steak cookout on the club grill.

At any rate, one night a visiting Catalina 22 tied up to the sea wall, just in front of us. As I was climbing out of my spartan Venture 21, I looked into the cabin of the 22. The dinette was set for dinner with place mats, wine glasses and silver. There was even a rose bud vase on the table. The cabin lights were on and the whole interior just seemed to glow. A few months later, I traded in the Venture on a brand new Catalina 22. I had to wait almost 4 months to get ELIXIR, but it was worth the wait.

Thanks for bringing back old memories.

I made up my mind right there that I wanted a Catalina 22

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Why do we do this?