Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Paint Removal

Author Paint Removal
James Johnson
Portland

Boat Name: Itldo

Model/Year: 1973 Catalina 22'

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Portland
05/22/2006 9:00 PM Pacific Time

Hi all, I'm the new owner of a 1973 Catalina 22', I've got a lot of work to do on it but one of my first projects is to remove the light blue topside paint. It is pretty faded and I will probably repaint a great deal of it, but it is everywhere and it would be great if I could completely remove some of it. Can anyone recommend how to best go about this? Will the fiberglass under it look ok? Thanks.

James
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
05/23/2006 5:39 PM Pacific Time

are you talking about the non-skid area? my husband repainted that area when he repainted the boat and it looks great and has a great grip.
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Boat Name: Reality Check

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1977/Swing Keel

Hull No. 6869

Hailing Port: Nags Head NC
05/24/2006 6:02 AM Pacific Time

Lynn, I'd like to repaint my non-skid surface - what did your husband use AwlGrip? Did he spray or brush? My spraying leave a lot to be desired
Roger Richter
Bloomington, WI

Boat Name: NAVY - TOO

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1978

Hull No. CTYH8241M78F

Hailing Port: Prairie du Chien, WI
05/24/2006 8:00 AM Pacific Time

Hi, I have a 78 Catalina that I intend to paint the non-skid areas on the deck from the original white fiberglass to a blue color for looks. I just intend to scrub the non-skid surface with a paint thinner to remove any residue, then use a roller to paint the blue deck paint on I got from West Marine. Roger
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
05/25/2006 4:49 AM Pacific Time

Yes, you can use Awl grip for 'skid' and non-skid areas. At an aviation supply I found an additive of I think small glass particles that we used on a friend's boat to paint the non-skid areas. It is simply added into the spray can, and it stays in suspension and does a great job. You will find that Awlgrip goes on in two coats, twenty minutes apart, whether brush or spray catalyst is used. Seems odd at first that you can see through the first coat, but don't try and add too much, the second coat will be totally opaque.
Good luck.
Al Ge
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
05/28/2006 6:48 PM Pacific Time

Marie, my husband used Interlux Interdeck color Squall Blue for my boat. See my post today on how he did it, why and how it worked. Call Dale at 530-470-0511 if you need anymore information.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Paint Removal