Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel dings

Author Keel dings
Maciej Janus
chicago il

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/23/2006 8:54 PM Pacific Time

I am considering buy a catalina 22, one concern i have is that the wing keel has some dings from what looks like multiple groundings, therefore not very smooth especially on the leading edge of the keel. Is this a problem. What can be done to smooth out the keel, can you just patch it with something, and is this something that can be done by myself.
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
05/24/2006 4:39 PM Pacific Time

Can't help directly but this is a question I've always had about the wing vs swing debate. If you run aground with a wing, it seems it would be pretty hard to heel over to get off. Not an issue with the swing. We've now got a C320 on the stands in our yacht club (I'm going to try an endear myself to the owner) and the wings are huge. No way that baby's gonna heel off the mud/sand etc. I guess what I'm driving at is if you plan to sail in shallow waters and keep the boat on the trailer, a swing would be best, but if you sail in deeper waters and keep the boat in a pen or on a mooring, the wing would be better from a maintenance standpoint.

Paul
Maciej Janus
chicago il

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/25/2006 5:38 AM Pacific Time

Anyone have any ideas as to the repair of the dings. Is this something i should worry about or not really. Should the dings or gauges just be left alone. Is this hard to repair. I would like to have the keel as smooth as possible.
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
05/25/2006 6:07 AM Pacific Time

Its lead and therefore pretty straight forward repair, time consuming but you just pound the lead back to shape with a hammer...If you can't or are unwilling to do it the boat yard will do it for you, for a moderate fee of course!
Maciej Janus
chicago il

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/25/2006 12:49 PM Pacific Time

What do you fill the gauges in with. Is it a difficult process. Also because the keel is beat up anything else i should be concerned with because of this damage ie (hull damage)
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
05/25/2006 1:29 PM Pacific Time

It is difficult to determine if and any damage there might be without being there and looking at it. You need to find someone who knows about boats (C22s particularly) and someone that you can trust to give you correct information. If you can't find someone then it might be best to hire a professional surveyor.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel dings