Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / loose jib luff

Author loose jib luff
greg klein
hotsprings, arkansas

Boat Name: elena

Model/Year: 1977 c27

Hull No. 3477

Hailing Port: brady mountain marina,lake ouacita
05/30/2006 7:39 PM Pacific Time

i have the cdi furler on my jib. when i am only using a portion of the 150 genoa on it, the jib luff always seems to be loose like i need to pull the clew down closer to the boat. do i need to add the inboard tracks and when people add the inboard tracksdo they still use the original tracks. i thought of removing mine and useing them as inboard tracks. therfore not having the outboard tracks. any ideas
Kent Overbeck
Signal Mountain, TN

Boat Name: Leap Frog & FrogZilla

Model/Year: '88 Wing keel / '69 swing

Hull No. 14647 / 185

Hailing Port: Chattanooga, TN
05/31/2006 4:03 AM Pacific Time

Greg, Two things about your sail shape. First, when you roll the sail, the middle of the luff becomes baggy and inefficient. Some sails have foam sewn into the luff to "suck up" this excess. I have used foam pipe insulation with pretty good success. Take two 6' lengths and slide them over the luff extrusion. You can push the first up with the second so they are placed in the middle of the sail. Now when you roll the sail, the excess in the middle will be pulled out. This is only practical if you know you want to reduce sail from the start. You also need to keep a wrap on to prevent the foam from flying off. Sounds crazy, but it works!
Second, when you roll the sail, the foot moves forward. You need to move the cars forward also to keep the proper sheeting angle.
Don't even think about removing the old track. New ones are not expensive and the old ones always seem to come in handy . I mounted my bimini on them. I also use the starboard car to run my furling line through.

Hope this helps,
Kent

Bayard Gross
Greenwich, CT

Boat Name: Baby Blue

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 9911

Hailing Port: Greenwich, CT
05/31/2006 7:38 PM Pacific Time

Greg:

I have a CDI furler too. One of the inherent problems with this furler is getting the luff well tensioned onto the extrusion when initially bending on the genoa. To resolve this, I implemented some modifications that you can see at: http://tinyurl.com/cexty

A second problem arises when pulling on the genoa and the clew pulls away from the drum. One must develop some way to closely hold the clew against the drum. In my case, I use the halyard wrapped around the drum and shackle that holds the clew. However, I have recently added some sail slugs onto the bottom of the luff that hold the luff close to the sail groove in the extrusion. These enter the sail groove below the slot opening for the luff tape. I do not have pictures of this yet, but I’m working on it.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / loose jib luff