Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / mast painting

Author mast painting
greg klein
hotsprings, arkansas

Boat Name: elena

Model/Year: 1977 c27

Hull No. 3477

Hailing Port: brady mountain marina,lake ouacita
06/04/2006 1:22 PM Pacific Time

i have heard that if the anodized finish wears off on older masts it can cause the aluminum to weaken from the elements. my mast is original, 30 years old and i was told to paint it to protect it since the finish looks to be worn off. has anyone else heard of this and painted their masts.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
06/05/2006 5:49 AM Pacific Time

Hi Greg - Thirty-year-old masts are not uncommon in older Catalina 22s. Unless you have severe corrosion where the anodizing has been worn through, I wouldn't worry about it. I would be more concerned with when the rigging (shrouds, stays and turnbuckles were last replaced. They are the weak point in the system. If they are older than 5 to 7 years, inspect them very carefully and consider replacing them.
greg klein
hotsprings, arkansas

Boat Name: elena

Model/Year: 1977 c27

Hull No. 3477

Hailing Port: brady mountain marina,lake ouacita
06/05/2006 7:20 PM Pacific Time

dick, thanks for the info. i replaced all the stays, spreaders and brackets, mast step and sheaves when i got the boat 2 seasons ago with cd parts so i should be ok. i havent seen ant type of corrosion anywhereas of yet and my mast seems to be good and sound
Doug Montgomery
Dallas TX

Boat Name: BlueByYou

Model/Year: 1979/22

Hull No. 8821

Hailing Port: Lake Ray Hubbard, TX
12/21/2007 11:49 AM Pacific Time

Call this crazy. I bought a new Main and did not want the gray from the loss in the anodization rubbing off on my new sail. I talked to every one that knew anything about, sailing, aluminum, paint and the like. I finally spoke to a guy whose anodization business was for much smaller parts. His answer was to use a water based clear sealer. I told my wife I would just have to paint over the old gray when she suggested using Comet and the green abrasive pad she used to use on her old aluminum cookware. Voila! It comes back like new! After cleaning, sealing and replacing the hardware my boom looks brand new. Careful. Comet contains chlorine and aluminum and chlorine do not mix well. Rinse thoroughly before you seal. Minwax makes a water based clear sealer you can spray on.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / mast painting