Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / halyards led to cockpit

Author halyards led to cockpit
Brian

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C22/1975

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Boise, Idaho
06/05/2006 11:35 AM Pacific Time

Hello,
I recently purchased a '75 C22 and it looks like one of the previous owners installed the hardware to run the halyards to the cockpit. (see illustration below)There are two blocks (X)at the base of the mast (O), two double deck organizers (M) on the cabin top about a foot and a half outboard of the blocks, and cam cleats (Z) that are mounted on the cabin top about one foot in from the cockpit.

X O X

M M

Z Z

My first question is simple - am I right in assuming that this setup is for running the halyards to the cockpit?

Second question - the blocks are mounted way out from the mast base (like six inches
Brian

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C22/1975

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Boise, Idaho
06/05/2006 11:45 AM Pacific Time

oops - I bumped something on my computer and posted the message before I was ready to. Sorry about that. I did in the process though, see that my little diagram did not keep the spacing that mas meant to show the location of hardware (not a big deal I think).

SO . . . to continue, my second question was, if this setup is inteded to run the halyards to the cockpit, is it okay, does it make any sense, that the blocks at the base of the mast are set out a good six inches from the mast base? It seems to me, and judging from photos that I have seen, that these blocks should be set right in next to the base of the mast.

And my third question is - if this setup is correct, do I just run the halyrds aft, and once either of the sails are set, I simply lock the halyard in the cam cleat and call it good? It seems weird to trust an entire sail to a little cam cleat and not to cleat of a halyard on a cleat at the base of the mast.

Thanks a bunch!
Brian
Stefan Damstrom

Boat Name: Delfina sold!

Model/Year: C22mK2 / 1987

Hull No. 14306 sold :-(

Hailing Port:
06/06/2006 11:30 AM Pacific Time

Hi Brian...in my setup, in place of the cam cleats (Z) I installed triple Spinlock XAS 6-12mm on starboard and port behind the house top winches (mine is a 87 Mk2). Do you not have winches in your setup? Hard to tension halyards sufficiently without those unless you have hulk like strength.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
06/07/2006 6:46 AM Pacific Time

Hi Brian - I used to have the same type blocks on the deck of my first boat, a 1976 model, although closer to the base of the mast. I suspect the PO of your boat was trying to avoid the deck plug on the port side and thus spaced the starboard side to make the installation look symetrical.

GET RID OF THE EXISTING BLOCKS AND FILL THE HOLES. The load on the halyards will pull the base of the mast down against the deck and underlying support, which in those years was not properly transfered to the boat through the mast support system inside the cabin.

Get a halyard plate from CD to put under the mast step and attach some blocks to it.

Cam cleats will work on the cabin top. Just make sure they have line guides on them, so when you release the halyard, you don't lose it. As noted earlier, sheet stoppers work better, but also cost a lot more.

As far, as not having winches to get the halyards tight, just use cunninghams on the genoa and main to get the proper luff tension.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
06/07/2006 1:28 PM Pacific Time

6448 did/and does not have winches, and until I can afford them, and the sheet stoppers, I only the cam cleats on the cabin top. The main is no problem, by using the Cunningham for the adjustment. For the Genoa, we leave the backstay loose, or only modestly snug, while we pull it up, then use the backstay to tension the headsail. Admittedly, there is quite and load in the cam cleat and it is very hard to release, so we try and use the reverse prceedure and slack the backstay before trying to release the halyard.
For what it's worth, Al Ge

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / halyards led to cockpit