Racing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Fin Keel

Author Fin Keel
Brian Pace
Columbus, Ohio

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 88

Hull No. 14342

Hailing Port:
06/09/2006 9:45 AM Pacific Time

Any thoughts around racing and ramp launching a fin keel C-22? I am “rebuilding” one, lots of work with almost everything new. Will be racing in the Ohio area.
Joe Novello
Newport, Oregon

Boat Name: Tenderly

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No. 7259

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
06/10/2006 7:23 AM Pacific Time

Brian,

I have a '77 fin keel. I use the "boat on a rope" trick to launch and it works great. Our ramp is fairly steep and I was surprised how little rope I had to let out, about 20 feet, before the boat floated free of the trailer. The spare tire mount on the tongue of my trailor rotates down so the trailer has a full size third wheel on which to roll.

Joe

Ron Norton
Katy, TX

Boat Name: Vela

Model/Year: C22 / 1984

Hull No. 12037

Hailing Port: Katy, TX
06/10/2006 7:24 AM Pacific Time

We used to have a fixed keel and trailered to races and cruises on a regular basis. You need to do the following to be successful: (1)design and install a keel guide to center boat on trailer. I would back trailer into water, get on boat and drive it onto the trailer. (2) I made a removable mount for a wheel barrow tire that I could put under the tongue of the trailer. It rode on top and I flipped under when time to launch or retreive. (3) Back down ramp, block trailer wheels, put wheel under tounge, disconnect from tow vehicle and lower wheel to ramp, use 3/4 or 1" nylon line to attach to tow vehicle, take up slack, remove blocks and back into water and motor off or on trailer. My wife and I could load and unload almost as fast as the swing keel guys. We had our routine down and could launch quicker by ourselves than with the help of other racers who did not know our routine. Good luck and great sailing.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/10/2006 7:44 AM Pacific Time

Hello,

Locally fin keel Catalina 22's have been hard to bet in racing unless they are sailed poorly. I'd look for a hoist for the launch. Floating the boat off the trailer and putting it back on usually means disconnecting the trailer and backing it into the while the vechile serves as an anchor with a chain connecting the two. I've watched fin keel Capri 22's, fin keel Catalina 22's, and swing keel Catalina 25's launch this way.
Randy Kolb
Eugene, OR

Boat Name: Nauti Duck

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13227

Hailing Port: Eugene, OR
06/27/2006 9:44 PM Pacific Time

Ron & Joe, where did you get the spare tire attachments that swing down? I rope launch my C22 fin keel but still use the jack/wheel and I would prefer a beefier setup. Thanks.
Joe Novello
Newport, Oregon

Boat Name: Tenderly

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No. 7259

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
06/28/2006 6:46 AM Pacific Time

Randy,

My boat trailer came with the 'third' wheel. The bracket it is mounted on looks like an off the shelf item although I've never seen one in a catalogue.
mike wilson
bowling green, ky

Boat Name: zumfun

Model/Year: 1972

Hull No. 1222

Hailing Port: grand rivers, ky
12/07/2006 9:11 AM Pacific Time

Hello, all of you Fin Keel owners,,, I would like to talk to you before I purchase a 70s model fin keel, please send me a note with your email address. Send it to tenacity-at-burgoo.com . thanks, Mike

Racing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Fin Keel