Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Flotation

Author Flotation
Richard Isherwood
Port Townsend WA

Boat Name: Sintegrity

Model/Year: 1975 C 22

Hull No. 5141

Hailing Port: Cape George, WA
06/09/2006 4:13 PM Pacific Time

I have a 1975 swing keel C 22 and periodically worry about things that might go badly wrong with it, though I do attempt to maintain it reasonably well.

I discovered that my boat has a lot of hard cell flotation in the hull - the stuff used under small docks to keep them up. I don't know whether this is standard, but it amounts to about 48 cubic feet, which should provide flotation of around 3000 lbs. Since the boat weighs only around 2500 lbs it seems to me that it shouldn't sink totally, even if badly holed. It might float upside down, but it should float.

Any comments?

Richard Isherwood
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
06/10/2006 3:32 AM Pacific Time

Hi,
I'e heard that some have used forms of flotation that are not completely waterproof. I think some have used that spray in foam insulation stuff and it can soak in loads of water. -even from the humidity. Not good.
The only problem that I think could arise from permanently attached foam is that if there is a leak from somewhere, it may have to be dug out to work around.
The other issue is that it takes up storage space. -Not a problem so much for a day sailor or racer.
I am tempted to get a collection of dry sacks that would be tied in underneath the seat storage areas that can be used for storage as well as inflation.

~Bilbo
N.E. Ohio
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
06/10/2006 4:51 AM Pacific Time

Oh come on Richard, what could possible go wrong? ; - ) I am just trying to picture where someone found room to stuff 48 Cu.Ft. of flotation in a C 22. I am mainly a cruiser myself and VERY jealous of my storage space. The problems that I have had is that in my '70 the storage under the seats on the port side dinette are the bilge and things can get wet. I resolved this by putting everything in plastic containers but it really eats into storage space too.

Greg
Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Boat Name: Joyful

Model/Year: 1977 C22

Hull No. 7200

Hailing Port: Plunder Bay Orwell VT
06/10/2006 4:52 AM Pacific Time

I too have the expanded foam through the boat and slowly removing it
It soaks up a very large amount of water and does mildew in the summer.
A gallon of bleach solves that problem, but eventually it will all come out.
More storage is always good

Uwe
Roger Richter
Bloomington, WI

Boat Name: NAVY - TOO

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1978

Hull No. CTYH8241M78F

Hailing Port: Prairie du Chien, WI
06/10/2006 8:13 AM Pacific Time

What about putting a number of large two to five gallon plastic bottles, with lids on, in storage areas you don't need. You could easily remove these whenever you wanted, and they would probably keep the boat from completely sinking in the off chance of a major accident. I save all my large (oblong) cat litter containers in the off chance I want to try this. What do you think?
Richard Isherwood
Port Townsend WA

Hull No. 5141

06/10/2006 1:18 PM Pacific Time

My foam is in blocks - not the spray in stuff. Everything seems to stay very dry. It fills most of the front end, ahead of the mast, to a depth of about 16"under the sleeping surface, witha cutout which fits the portapotty nicely. Then there are two long blocks, under the center and right side of the cockpit. As I don't plan to sleep more than two in the boat there is still ample storage. Compared to a backpacking tent it is all very spacious and luxurious.

I was really very pleased to find the foam, and may even put in a bit more. But do you all agree that it should keep the boat afloat, come what may ?

Richard
Richard Isherwood
Port Townsend WA

Hull No. 5141

06/10/2006 1:55 PM Pacific Time

Roger,

I think empty water jugs would work fine, but you should probably put them together in large garbage bags or something and tie them down. Otherwise the theoretical disaster, if it happened in the night particularly, could lead to some glorious chaos.

Richard
Paul Moore
Doylestown, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/11/2006 8:26 AM Pacific Time

I thought boyancy bags would work well and can be removed when you need the space...

http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e2105.asp

Scroll down a little

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Flotation