Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Motor Mount Stainless Backing Plate weight

Author Motor Mount Stainless Backing Plate weight
Bobby McCullough
Franklin, TN

Boat Name: Intrepid

Model/Year: 1971

Hull No. 741

Hailing Port: Old Hickory and Percy Priest Lakes
06/11/2006 1:19 PM Pacific Time

Does anyone know the weight of the stainless backing plate? Mine's mounted and I was hoping someone might know or have one handy they could weigh?

Thanks!
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
06/11/2006 11:06 PM Pacific Time

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to know? If you are so inclined, I would remove them and replace with aluminum . The boat has enough weight in the stern, already.
Bobby McCullough
Franklin, TN

Hull No. 741

06/12/2006 3:56 PM Pacific Time

Dick, I am getting a new motor that is below the new 40# requirement so I'm going to have to add some weight. The motor is light enough that I don't think I'll need any backing plate on the "starboard" mounting board. SO, if the SS backing plate weight is 10#s, then I should be covered on the weight rule...if not, the plate is going before I add the weight to stay "legal."

What are your thoughts on all of this?
Lynn Van Hooser
Arlington, Texas

Boat Name: High Maintenance

Model/Year: C-22/1973

Hull No. 2902

Hailing Port: Lake Arlington Yacht Club
11/05/2007 7:05 PM Pacific Time

I had a friend mount a new motor mount on my boat and I nearly fainted when I saw that plate. I would love to know how much it weighs. It is one chunk of metal and the friend who mounted it is my competition. What was I thinking?

Lynn
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
11/06/2007 7:10 AM Pacific Time

Lynn, I used 3/16" aluminum angle as a backing plate on my boat and it works fine. I do know that there is a difference in the construction of the transom in the various iterations of our boats and this may explain the size of the plate that was used.

I'm headed out on Thurs for a month. We will be in Frisco the week before Thanksgiving and in Springtown for Thanksgiving week. Our daughters live there. Keep the weather good for us!!
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
11/06/2007 8:28 AM Pacific Time

I used a 1/2 inch piece of plywood that I fiberglassed to the inside of the transom as a backing plate for my boat. Then I coated the wood with fiberglass resin. I have a 10 hp. 4 cycle hanging off the stern and there is no movement or slop in the motor mount at all. Also please remember that on my boat at least (1970) the transom is a double wall with space in between. I certainly would not do without a backing plate even with a "light" outboard motor.

Greg
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
11/06/2007 10:52 AM Pacific Time

Lynn,

The replys so far have assumed you ment a support plate inside the transom. I had the impression you were referring to the backing plate on the board that the motor mounts on. If that is the case, and you have a small motor, as many racers do, take off the plate and just use the board. I'd also attach a line or cable from your motor to the boat just in case the board fails so you don't inadvertantly lose the motor.

Bob
Lynn Van Hooser
Arlington, Texas

Hull No. 2902

11/06/2007 7:19 PM Pacific Time

Bob,
You know I was once on a Catalina 22 with a guy who was bragging about all the work he had done on his boat and also the fact that he had just bought a new Honda motor about $1800.00. Nope, he didn't take insurance on his boat or motor, he said. Well, we sat in the middle of the lake with no wind and he started the motor and it ran like a top until he throttled it and it fell off the mount into the lake. I didn't know whether to prepare for CPR or jump in the lake to retrieve it. True story, Lake Fort Phantom!
I did mean the plate inside the transom.
lynn/High Maintenance#2902
Lynn Van Hooser
Arlington, Texas

Hull No. 2902

11/06/2007 7:24 PM Pacific Time

R.C.,
It is 51 F. outside with highs of 60's. The weather is great and if you have time, stop by Lake Arlington. The club is right there at the boat ramp. We eat at 12:00PM Sunday and race at 1:30PM. Enjoy your stay.

lynn
High Maintenance
Bobby McCullough
Franklin, TN

Hull No. 741

11/07/2007 6:23 AM Pacific Time

Lynn, I removed the plate but have yet to weigh it. I'll dig out out tonight and give you some idea later.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Motor Mount Stainless Backing Plate weight