Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / forward hatch cutout

Author forward hatch cutout
greg klein
hotsprings, arkansas

Boat Name: elena

Model/Year: 1977 c27

Hull No. 3477

Hailing Port: brady mountain marina,lake ouacita
06/13/2006 8:31 PM Pacific Time

my boat has the large fiberglass forward hatch and i want to let light in the v berth without having to open it all the time. i have thouht about cutting out a small part of the center of the hatch and putting in some 1/4" or thicker smoked plexi to let n the light. i would bevel the outer edge to fit flush with the top and screw and seal itin place. has anyone done this or think im high for consdering this. would it be better to put something like this on the angled part of the cabin right behind it. any thoughts would be great.

Bill Rapp
Nixa, MO

Boat Name: Beagle

Model/Year: C 22 1984

Hull No. 12442

Hailing Port: Stockton, MO
06/14/2006 5:41 PM Pacific Time

Greg, I think it is a good idea. The more light the better. Your description as I understand it follows Don Casey's book, " This Old Boat". I would suggest checking there for further particulars.
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
06/15/2006 9:47 AM Pacific Time

Actually my new style version came with a small skylight in the bow directly in front of the hatch. It's about 4" X 8" and has opaque white plexiglas or lexan. Now, If the hatch flexes andy it may be hard to keep a skylight from leaking.
David F.
Abilene, TX

Boat Name: Clair de Lune

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No. 6140

Hailing Port: Fort Phantom Lake
06/15/2006 7:03 PM Pacific Time

I have a copy of "The Complete Live-Aboard Boat". It recommends grinding the gel-coat off of part of the hatch, the fiberglas should be translucent under it to allow in light.

Might try it out on a junker boat first - if you can find one.

David

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / forward hatch cutout