Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Swing Keel Replacement Photos !

Author Swing Keel Replacement Photos !
Tim & Susan White
Roanoke, VA

Boat Name: ScrapingBottom

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1975

Hull No. 5038

Hailing Port: Smith Mountain Lake, VA
06/20/2006 6:35 PM Pacific Time

Hello folks,

Heres a link to my online photo album swing keel replacement project plus bottom paint.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ScrapingBottom

Right now im reaming the SS bushing to insert the keel pin.

Tim White
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
06/21/2006 7:06 AM Pacific Time

Hi Tim,

Very nice. Just one question though. Your picture "keel hanger alignment" shows the hangers with the pin outside the hull or upside down. Was this the final position, or did I miss interpret? Also, I would be very interested in seeing how you're redone the interior.

Peter
Tim & Susan White
Roanoke, VA

Hull No. 5038

06/21/2006 7:39 PM Pacific Time

HI Peter,

Regarding the keel hanger alignment photo. I was trying to show how I was aligning the keel hanger castings using threaded rods...I saw that technique on one of the posts and thought it was a great Idea. I could imagine how hard it would be to aligne those little bolts with a 600 lb piece of steel. So right now im just about ready to attach everything and do not want to even think about a stripped weldement.."ouch". IM also reaming the stainless steel bushing out that a machinist installed for me in the keel. So that the keel pin can slide easily.

Im redoing all the wood work in the interior and have installed a brass poll instead of the traditional wooded mastsupport piece. I thought this might make my boat a little different from others. A soon as I take the interior pix I will be glad to send you the link.

And thank you for your interest.

Tim & Susan White

PS...We love that little boat !!!
Tim & Susan White
Roanoke, VA

Hull No. 5038

06/21/2006 7:41 PM Pacific Time

I had the keel hangers lowered as i was putting them on so that people could see how i was doing it

Thanks
Tim
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
06/22/2006 9:47 AM Pacific Time

As you can see, I have a 1976. I am in the process of refurbishing it also - just not as far along as you. So, I am following your progress with great interest. I look forward to that link when you're ready.

Peter
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
06/23/2006 4:13 AM Pacific Time

Tim,
Not sure if you were getting the point that Peter made.
That photo shows the hangers placed incorrectly. Your hangers are upside down.
Forget that they aren't tight. They don't hang down like that. The keel pin holes on the hangers go up in their small slots in the hull. By having them in this position, the bolts may break off when the boat heels. When placed correctly, the hangers are prevented from sideways movement by the fibeglass of the hull.

So when the hangers are fastened and tight, the bottoms of the hangers are flush with the hull. The keel pin isn't below the bottom surface of the hull.

~Bilbo
N.E. Ohio
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Hull No. 13971

06/23/2006 4:21 AM Pacific Time

Tim, Take a look at the third photo on this page. The hangers are poistioned correctly for attachment to the hull.

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rwahlfel/www/GaryLucasKeel.htm

~Bilbo
N.E. Ohio
Tim & Susan White
Roanoke, VA

Hull No. 5038

06/23/2006 5:43 AM Pacific Time

Bilbo and Peter.....Now I see what your talking about !....Duh !!...Your right I did have them upside down !...I just assumed they were correct . Gee thats why I like a forum like this because it keeps me on track !

Thanks a lot for helping me !

Tim
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
06/23/2006 8:46 AM Pacific Time

Just wanted to say that I am amazed at all the things that you fellows/gals know how to do and the ingenuity used...I am purely fascinated. How'd you get so smart? Thanks for all the ideas and know-hows.
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Hull No. 13971

06/23/2006 2:23 PM Pacific Time

Well, I saw that someone else had done this on another boat. I guess that it happens occasionally.
If you look at the hangers there is a shoulder/ indent where the bolt heads go. This makes everything fairly flush with the hull. Although having the hangers upside down may make the keel hang about 2" inches lower with some benefit (theoretically), I'd not do it on purpose because I think that this makes a weak point IMHO even weaker. Just imagine the strain on the hangers when the boat is heeling at 50 degrees or so in a gust and the keel is out there.

Also watch out for the torque on the keel bolts. It's pretty light and somewhere in the 15 f/p range. Too much and you'd break the bolts off in the hull. Research this fact on the forums or join Chip Ford's most excellent discussion group. :

http://www.chipford.com/

Those guys are really the smart ones.
~Bilbo
N.E. Ohio

Tim & Susan White
Roanoke, VA

Hull No. 5038

06/23/2006 8:02 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Bilbo and Peter ! Tomorow I have a guy coming over to actually help me bolt the keel in place.

Have a great weekend !

Tim White
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Hull No. 13971

06/24/2006 3:13 AM Pacific Time

Tim,
Good luck on this. You can use two good strong backs to jocky the keel around.
As I'm remembering from my work on this last fall, I got the keel bolts replaced from Catalina Direct and they came with a small amount of LocTite to keep them in place.
Using that LocTite is a good idea.

I also had to replace the Keel Cable, the Volcano Hose, and the Turning Ball.
If the boat is older, these things can get weak or non-functional. In my case the turning ball inside the volcano had frozen and it was fraying the keel cable. If the cable broke, I wouldn't be able to raise the keel or the keel would pivot down and crack the hull.

Again, Best of luck on this project.
~Bilbo
N.E. Ohio
Tim & Susan White
Roanoke, VA

Hull No. 5038

06/24/2006 4:21 PM Pacific Time

Hi Bilbo and Peter,

Well......I finally got the keel in place and bolted up (With the brackets right side up!) It took about 2 hours and by the time we got them correctly aligned and snug we decided to forego the Locktite.....Actually with the lock washers under each bolt I think it will be ok....but I might want to check them in a month or so to make sure.

Tomorrow I plane on installing the keel centering spacers which I think is a great Idea to keep the keel from wobling in the all the way down position.

Thanks for your help so far..you saved my butt on those hanger castings !..lol !

Tim and Susan White
Tim & Susan White
Roanoke, VA

Hull No. 5038

06/24/2006 4:25 PM Pacific Time

BTW...i just uploaded the new pix of the keel install.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ScrapingBottom

Thanks

Tim
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Hull No. 13971

06/24/2006 7:34 PM Pacific Time

Well Tim,
Looks good to me. It's good feeling to get that secured into place without breaking a foot or something :)

Looks like you had some decent equipment and a canopy/greenhouse to boot.

Just got back from a fine day of sailing and I'm very happy-tired. We did well.
~Bilbo
N.E. Ohio

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Swing Keel Replacement Photos !