Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / "Volcanoe" Repair

Author "Volcanoe" Repair
Bill McGovern
Forked River, NJ

Boat Name: Nellie

Model/Year: C22/1985

Hull No. 12924

Hailing Port: Forked River
06/24/2006 7:53 AM Pacific Time

While sailing my swing keel hit a shalow spot briefly then slapped back down with a clunk. Then we notice water getting higher below deck. Apparently when the keel cable slapped tight the pressure at the turning ball caused the fiberglass wrapping around the bronze tube to crack and start leaking.

I have the boat on the trailer now and will start to repair. I see the bronze tube in CD and noticed the turning ball holes appear lower in the pipe than they are on my '85. Did Catalina lower them to reduce the force at the top of the pipe or is it just the way it was photographed?

Any repair advice will be appreciated.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/25/2006 6:29 AM Pacific Time

Hello Bill,

One of our members repaired #197 which was leaking at the volcano where the brass pipe meets the fiberglass. In comparing a couple of the boats in Fleet 20, we found that the height of the brass pipe was different. Since the turning ball is typically installed near the top of the pipe, it meant the turn balls were also at different heights.

In repairing #197, here is a description of what was found and what was done. The existing pipe itself was simply a 3 inch long brass pipe nipple, which threaded into the glass, as well as having threads on the upper end. The only thing that held the pipe into the volcano was the resin to brass bond, which apparently had failed some time back.

After removing the nipple, the threads in the fiberglass looked pretty good. Since the original nipple seemed too short, a new 5 inch long brass nipple was purchased and the threads at one end were cut off so the hose would have a smooth surface to mate to. The nipple was then dry fitted to the volcano in order to determine where the new holes had to be drilled for the turning ball axle.

The nipple was removed, turning ball axle holes drilled, and then the threaded end and the volcano fiberglass hole was coated with 3M 4200 sealant. 3M’s 4200 instead of 5200 was selected just in case there might be a need in the future to disassemble the thing. The nipple was installed with the axle holes perpendicular to the keel and allowed to set.

Once everything was cured, the turning ball was installed and the hose slipped over the pipe and held in place with two hose clamps.

Dale Mack, Fleet 20 Captain
www.c22pdx.org
Crocus, C22, #8244

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / "Volcanoe" Repair