Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Halyard winch location

Author Halyard winch location
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
06/30/2006 7:34 AM Pacific Time

I have a 1982 C22 with a pop top roof. I want to install a single small winch and double rope clutch for my jib and main halyard. (I have arthritis in my hands so I'm looking for some relief from my current set up) My dilemma is where to place them. There's very little width between the cabin edge and the edge of the pop top. There's plenty of space between the edge of the pop top and the sliding companionway roof. I've seen pictures on the web of folks that have placed cam cleats and such for various control lines in this spot. I am considering a winch /clutch arrangement for my halyards which can impart a much higher force. Here's my question, can the dogged pop top handle the foreces? Anyone seen it done successfully or unsuccessfully? I hate drilling holes in my baby when I don;t know what I'm doing.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
06/30/2006 1:49 PM Pacific Time

Paul, my 1986 (new style) came with factory installed Lewmar 6 cabin top winches. The center of the winch is about 8 inches forward of the edge of the cabin, which allows for the installation of a cleat aft of the winch. There is just a fingerwidth between the base of the winch and the teak slide for the companionway. There is about an inch of non-skid showing between the base of the winch and the curve into the vertical edge of the cabin.

I'd recommend mounting the winch onthe fixed cabin top, not the poptop. Its much sturdier, and if you mount it on the poptop, the poptop cover won't fit.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/01/2006 4:11 AM Pacific Time

Hi Paul - Send me your email address and I will send you a photo of how it can be done. On my previous boat, the previous owner installed winches on the pop top, but the top was permanently bolted down. Since we raced the boat and I am 6'1", the loss of the use of the pop top was not a problem.

(phonetics - romeo tango kilo juliet romeo at bellsouth.net)
Glenn Warner
Jacksonville Florida

Boat Name: Goblin/JuJu

Model/Year: 1981/1972

Hull No. 10369/1222

Hailing Port: Jacksonville Florida
07/01/2006 4:26 AM Pacific Time

Paul, I have seen winches placed on the pop top as well as beside the pop top. On my 81 I put winches and clutches beside the pop top. In this location I can use them for halyards as well as cross sheeting the genoa. I put cheek blocks in the original winch location on the coaming. I cut the back loop off the grab rail to accomadate the clutches. Since I also use the winches to cross sheet they needed to be raised on pads so the sheet would clear the pop top. To do this I could have notched the pad to accomadate the raised ridge at the edge of the cabin top or trimmed the last few inches of it off. I cut it off. I used Lewmar #7s as I use the winches as sheet winches as well as for the halyards. Smaller winches without pads would likely fit without having to deal with the lip at the edge of the top. Many people have put winches on the pop top itself. It is easier as there is plenty of clear space. Be aware that the back of your pop top is not secured well. I would be very careful about putting a big upward pulling load on it. Also remember it is not plywood cored as the deck is. These are the reasons I put mine beside the top. I think I have pics if you are interested. email me off list at gcglenn at com cast dot net

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/01/2006 5:29 AM Pacific Time

Paul,

I have a winch mounted off the poptop and yet on the cabin top. It fits into the aft starboard corner section of the cabin top. I removed the aft-most loop of my handrail to make room.

If you find you can get the sails up without a winch and it's the tensioning of the luff that is giving your hands the most trouble, I'd recommend cunninghams instead of the winch.

If you still want to go with the winch, another alternative is to make your Genoa winches do double duty. Mount the rope clutches near the aft edge of the cabin top so you can use the clutches as bulleyes when running the halyards to the winches. In this configuration be mindful of how forward the clutches need to be installed so as to not interfere with your poptop cover if you have one.

If you use your Genoa winches in this configuration you WILL get overrides because the winches aren't design to have the line come down to them. To correct this you can use a snatch near the winch to redirect the angle of the halyard in much the same way your Genoa cars redirect the sheets.

Dale
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
07/01/2006 8:59 AM Pacific Time

Gentlemen,
Thank you very much for the excellent advise.
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
07/01/2006 2:10 PM Pacific Time

Here's a photo that I found at one point on the internet of a main Halyard winch.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v353/Bilbo_Baggins/Sailing/cabintopstbd.jpg
I'm not sure who's boat this is though.
I have also seen the clutches attached on the section of the slanted cockpit cabin wall (Beside the hatch boards) if you put the clutches there, you'd need something to smooth out the abraision on the corner of the cabin top for the ropes.

~Bilbo
N.E. Ohio

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/02/2006 6:48 AM Pacific Time

The photo is of Crocus.

Dale
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
07/02/2006 12:58 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Dale,
I looked everywhere for the boat on the internet again ...but the correct place...

http://home.comcast.net/~celtic-myst/8244/index.htm

It is very neatly laid out. SIr. :)
~Bilbo
N.E. Ohio
Jack
Virginia

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/04/2006 5:39 PM Pacific Time

I would also recommend spraying the track and sail slugs with Sailkote.
Jack

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Halyard winch location