Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Lifting Eye for launching with crane

Author Lifting Eye for launching with crane
Mike Kinney

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1980 catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: San Francisco
07/11/2006 3:44 PM Pacific Time

I have my boat on a trailer in dry storage at a Marina. I can keep it there fully rigged, but the only way to launch is via a crane. Does anyone know how I can install a lifting eye so that I can just connect crane instead of fumbling with straps that may or may not be there?
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
07/11/2006 4:32 PM Pacific Time

Mike,
Check out this link:
http://www.fleet47.com/hoist.htm

Also, it looks like you're in the SF Bay Area. We're looking for new Fleet 9 members. Have a look at www.fleet9.org and drop me a line when you get chance!
David
dtsails at hotmail.com
Dave Chaffin
Tampa, FL

Boat Name: Carpe Diem

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 14293

Hailing Port: Davis Island Yacht Club
04/09/2007 4:27 PM Pacific Time

Mike,
I hoist my boat weekly using a strap that is hooked into the three keel bolts. My question to you is: Do you have a swing keel or a wing keel? I can't answer for a swing keel since my boat is a 1987 wing keel. My hoisting strap has a ring at the top for the crane/hoist hook, then a strap that goes down about 5 feet to another ring. From that ring are three smaller straps that have hooks on the ends. Those hooks go to each of my keel bolts. I've been hoisting for a long time with no problems. I do have to use "balancing" lines to the stern cleats to keep her flat when hoisting. Sorry this is so late, but I just joined the forums. Maybe you've already solved this problem.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Lifting Eye for launching with crane