Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Permanent Ice Box Construction

Author Permanent Ice Box Construction
Matthew Porter
Lake Hartwell, SC

Boat Name:

Model/Year: '77 C-22 Swing Keel

Hull No. 6723

Hailing Port: Big Water Marina
07/13/2006 6:56 PM Pacific Time

Anybody built a permanent icebox down below? Due to a lack of space and a need for speed, I refuse to keep the sliding galley option in the boat so I'm looking for a permanent solution for those days where cruising is the plan. Any pictures or plans would be appreciated plus what materials were used, please send to: [email protected]

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/14/2006 4:54 AM Pacific Time

If you have a need for speed you don't want to be adding weight by building in an icebox. Go with an ice chest that you can leave off the boat when you don't want the added weight.

Dale
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/14/2006 11:00 PM Pacific Time

I remember seeing a picture of the port aft underseat being insulated and fiberclassed in as a ice chest. No plans, just a picture. I think the drain was a hose to a bladder bag which was removable for empting. I have an ice chest and plastic storage box that slides back under where your slidding galley goes and that works for me. Dishes are washed in my all purpose boat bucket used to wash off the boat, cool down the grandkids, or act as a cannon in our friendly water fights. They come off when I race.
Pat Lindsay
Huntsville, AL

Boat Name: Stargazer

Model/Year: 1983

Hull No. 11735

Hailing Port: Lake Guntersville, Al
08/27/2006 2:25 PM Pacific Time

Matthew, I'm considering the same...In fact an entire galley that would occupy the forward 1/2 of the starboard settee, consisting of: (1) a camp stove near the starboard bulkhead that either clamped to the settee surface or to the bulkhead and swung up out of the way when not in use, (2) a sink similar to that described by Lynn Buchanan, perhaps dropped into an insert next to the stove, and (3) a small ice box using layered sheets of 1" styrofoam, lined with some strong clear plastic, cut to fit into the aft end of the starboard-settee locker, and braced with either 1/4" plywood or some other light but firm material. I figure the ice box would be more efficient than my cooler, weigh less, and the other stuff would be easily removed for racing. Anyone with other ideas or modifications that have worked for you?
Pat Noonan
Fairhope, Al

Boat Name: Blue Dog

Model/Year: ?

Hull No. ?

Hailing Port: Fairhope, Al
11/25/2008 3:00 AM Pacific Time

I have a "big boat..30" with the built in ice box. I am planning major renovation of interior and will take out the built in and replace with small electric fridge from Lowes. They are cheap, work fine at pier and can keep things cool when not plugged in. For longer time out, will use carry on ice chest. I like mine in the cockpit as then don't neet to go below for an iced one.

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Permanent Ice Box Construction