Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / mast positioning

Author mast positioning
greg klein
hotsprings, arkansas

Boat Name: elena

Model/Year: 1977 c27

Hull No. 3477

Hailing Port: brady mountain marina,lake ouacita
07/13/2006 8:26 PM Pacific Time

just a thought. i adjusted the rake on my boat in the water with the keel up as i was in shallow water. my thought is that with the keel down the boat will sit more level as i noticed the boot stripe line is lower inthe back when the keel is up. my concern is that i dont have the mast set properly. does anyone have any thoghts on this and is there a way to properly set your mast if you only have a shallow dock to set it on.

Glenn Warner
Jacksonville Florida

Boat Name: Goblin/JuJu

Model/Year: 1981/1972

Hull No. 10369/1222

Hailing Port: Jacksonville Florida
07/14/2006 3:06 AM Pacific Time

You do not say how your were measuring rake. It sounds like you were using the plumb bob hung from the main halyard method or something similar. The flaw with this method is that it is dependent on the fore and aft trim of the boat being level and the same each time. A much more consistent measurement is to pull a tape measure to the top with the main halyard and measure to the back of the stern cut out. That being said the only use for a measurement is repeatability. Sail your boat. If you like the way the helm feels, take a measurement, then you can repeat it where ever your boat is, keel up or down , or on the the trailer if you want. If too much weather helm, take some rake out. Lee helm, put some rake in. Don't get hung up on the number.
greg klein
hotsprings, arkansas

Boat Name: elena

Model/Year: 1977 c27

Hull No. 3477

Hailing Port: brady mountain marina,lake ouacita
07/14/2006 7:00 PM Pacific Time

glenn,thanks for the info. i have noticed when sailing and i come about and the wind hits the boat wants to head down wind. is this because of the mast too far forward
Glenn Warner
Jacksonville Florida

Boat Name: Goblin/JuJu

Model/Year: 1981/1972

Hull No. 10369/1222

Hailing Port: Jacksonville Florida
07/15/2006 2:38 AM Pacific Time

Greg, if when you are sailing up wind you have to keep some pressure on the helm to keep the boat from turning down, then you have lee helm. If when sailing up wind you have to keep pressure on the helm to keep the boat from rounding up into the wind, you have weather helm.Leaning the top of the mast back (adding rake) will increase weather helm and vice versa. It will also allow you to point higher (sail closer angles to the wind) A having some weather helm is considered a bit of a safety factor as well because if you go overboard, the boat will have a tendancy to round up and stop rather than sailing off to Neverland.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / mast positioning