Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Rub rail cleaning

Author Rub rail cleaning
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
07/17/2006 4:32 PM Pacific Time

Any suggestions for cleaning the rub rail? I remember someone referencing MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) but I want to try something marginally friendlier like maybe acetone or paint thinner. I machine polished the hull and the polish has gotten onto the rub rail, and I'd like the best way to clean it off along with any black marks without damaging it. Please don't use brand names as it's a long way to the shops from down here in Australia.

Paul
Stan Hullett
Littleton CO

Boat Name: Hanky Panky

Model/Year: 1979 C-25

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Chatfield State Park
07/17/2006 5:21 PM Pacific Time

Paul, We recently aquired a '87 C-27, the rubrails on this boat are covered with vinal automotive 'Trim tape", simular material to the vinal stick on names. This seem very rugged and if damaged a small section can be removed and replaced. Previous owner used bright red, it gives the boat a whole different look. It has the dark blue boot stripes, so it ends up with a Red, White and Blue effect. we carried this on to our new name, with red letters on a blue field!
Stan
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
07/18/2006 4:56 AM Pacific Time

Paul; I have used acetone to clean up the vinyl filler in the rub rail. Unfortunately it will really mess up your polishing efforts if any spills. The vinly may be a little soft for a couple of days after cleanup is complete. When it has firmed up you can use any of the vinyl protective coatings you might use to keep the dashboard on your car looking spiffy. If your problem is in the metal portion, sand the aluminum, or is it aluminium, whith 600 to 1000 grit paper and use an aluminum polish to protect it from corrosion. I do mine 3 times a year and it stays clean and quite shiny.
William Bell
Pt. Orange, FL

Boat Name: Phoenix

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. #13784

Hailing Port: Pt. Orange,FL
07/18/2006 5:06 AM Pacific Time

If you got some wax on the rub rail, use some ammonia to remove the wax. I would then try some denatured alcohol. Be careful not to get any of the cleaning materials on the hull side as they will leave dull marks where they touch. Use acetone as a last resort. Remember to use rubber gloves to protect your hands from the chemicals.

Good luck- Bill
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
07/19/2006 12:06 AM Pacific Time

Hey R.C. - It's probably aluminium in this part of the world but I pronounce it the Yank way. Interesting point about sanding - Wouldn't that remove the anodizing or is the metal not anodized?

Paul
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
07/20/2006 3:53 AM Pacific Time

Mine did not appear to be anodized. I was beginning to see some pitting and corrosion on the surface. Also the higher grit will limit the effect of sanding unless you have too much elbow grease
William Bell
Pt. Orange, FL

Boat Name: Phoenix

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. #13784

Hailing Port: Pt. Orange,FL
07/24/2006 6:55 AM Pacific Time

I think you will find that the aluminum rub rail extrusion was annodized. Over time the base aluminum can still corrode. Salt water is hard on all metals and everything else for that matter.

I really like the idea of trim tape on the vinyl ... saves putting in new material.

--Bill

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Rub rail cleaning