Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Nissan/Tohatsu 8hp stalling

Author Nissan/Tohatsu 8hp stalling

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/01/2006 10:52 AM Pacific Time

I own a 2002 Nissan 8hp two stroke motor which has been the best outboard I've ever owned, until recently. I jest launched my C-22 for the first time this year, and I am having stalling problems. This motor has never had an issue before, but now stalls whenever it is in gear, and I throttle up past the start point on the twist throttle. I can run at medium rpm, but need to be in the 1st choke position to do so. I changed the plugs over the weekend, which helped a little, but it still stalls when at medium or higher rpm. I have brand new gas, and have cleaned the intake screen in the tank. I'm trying to do whatever I can to avoid an expensive repair bill, but am running out of ideas. Any suggestions?

J.Bruining
C-22 #3109
Wingman
Portland, OR
Roger Richter
Bloomington, WI

Boat Name: NAVY - TOO

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1978

Hull No. CTYH8241M78F

Hailing Port: Prairie du Chien, WI
08/01/2006 3:45 PM Pacific Time

Hi, Sounds to me like your fuel filter and carburetor are gummed/ plugged up. My 5 hp Nissan, 2001 just had this problem and acted the same way until I took it to a repair shop. He said he sees a lot of this because of todays gas quality. Be sure you don't use any ethanol in the motor. Mechanic said these small engines, especially two strokes, have such small orifices for the fuel, that they plug up real easy. Hope this helps. Roger
Philip L .KWASINSKI
Chicago Illinois

Boat Name: O Wa Diddy

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10523

Hailing Port: Chicago
08/02/2006 5:47 AM Pacific Time

Good old fashioned Gum out will clear it up just spray it into the screened air intake while the engine is running (you will need to rev the engine while you do so). A good clean out whenever you see that stalling at high rpm's will keep you safe.

Philip
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
08/02/2006 4:55 PM Pacific Time

there should be a low speed idle jet on the side of the carb. it looks like a brass screwhead with a hole in it. if you un screw it with the right size driver you should see a hole on the side of the tip and a very small hole in the tip. use a small wire from a grill brush (clean) to open the hole in the bottom and side. this jet controls the amount of gas going in the motor while the carb is closed at idle. when you use the choke to keep it running you are bringing gas through the high speed jet.
use the old gas in the lawn mower.
Willard Morton
Montgomery, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1988

Hull No. CTYH4531K788

Hailing Port: Lake Conroe, TX
08/26/2006 7:28 AM Pacific Time

I have a Mariner 6 HP outboard and lately it has been stalling out when in the slower or idle position at the dock. Then I can't get it to run unless it sets for quite some time. Could this be the same problem? Or will I need to take it into the engine repair shop? Does anyone have any idea?
Willard Morton
Montgomery, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1988

Hull No. CTYH4531K788

Hailing Port: Lake Conroe, TX
08/26/2006 8:32 AM Pacific Time

My Mariner is a 4 HP, 2 cycle, and not a 6HP as I earlier stated.

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Nissan/Tohatsu 8hp stalling