Electrical

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Deck Light Lens on an '87

Author Deck Light Lens on an '87
Joe Claunch
Arlington, TX

Boat Name: Breakaway

Model/Year: C22 1987

Hull No. 14108

Hailing Port: Lynn Creek Marina
08/17/2006 12:54 PM Pacific Time

Does the "steaming & halogen deck light" have a lens over the halogen bulb & reflector? I just dropped my mast for the first time ever after owning the boat for 2 1/2 years. I'm replacing the bulbs in the mastlights which have never been operational since I bought the boat. I was suprised to find that the halogen bulb was exposed to the elements with no lens nor any debris from a broken lens to indicate that it had ever had one.

Thanks!.
Chuck
East Meadow, NY

Boat Name: Doo Dad

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No. 12418

Hailing Port: Bayshore, NY
08/17/2006 11:25 PM Pacific Time

Mine was installed new 2 years ago, and there was no lens. I was wondering the same thing!

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/17/2006 11:32 PM Pacific Time

I replaced mine with a new one (same kind) from West Marine shortly after I acquired my boat. Neither the old one nor the new one had a lens covering the deck light. I thought it was odd too, but figured it was due to the heat that is most likely generated by that halogen bulb. I keep my boat in a slip, but about once a year, I drop the mast just to check everyting the things on top. I alway pay particular attention to the light. I check for corrosion, apply a little bulb grease, and replace it if necessary. Remember not to touch that bulb with your bare hands. The oils in your skin will focus the heat from the bulb to a single spot and burn it out prematurely.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

Joe Claunch
Arlington, TX

Boat Name: Breakaway

Model/Year: C22 1987

Hull No. 14108

Hailing Port: Lynn Creek Marina
08/18/2006 6:16 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the information. I would never have thought there would not be a lens. By the way, what is "bulb grease", where do you get it, and what do you put it on (the bulb's contacts)?

Thanks again!

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/19/2006 1:29 AM Pacific Time

Bulb grease can be purchased near the checkout stand at most auto parts stores. It comes in a small packet about the size and shape of a packet of sugar. It's very inexpensive and saves a lot of headaches with corrosion problems. Just smear a thin layer on the contacts of the buld where it contacts the socket. By the way, for you trailer sailors out there... This stuff is worth it's weight in gold for trailer lights!

Pete
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
08/21/2006 3:48 AM Pacific Time

The heat buildup on the halogen bulb is the reason why there is no covering over the deck light. To repeat the earlier suggestion, if you replace the bulb don't touch the glass and transfer skin oil to the bulb. It will cause the bulb to burn out faster. If you touch the bulb while inserting, clean it off before using it. & I wouldn't touch it while it's turned on.

BTW. There are some places where the halogen bulbs are available such as Walmarts or some of the home inprovement / hardware stores.

Electrical
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Deck Light Lens on an '87