Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Mainsheet Rubs Split Backstay

Author Mainsheet Rubs Split Backstay
Joe Claunch
Arlington, TX

Boat Name: Breakaway

Model/Year: C22 1987

Hull No. 14108

Hailing Port: Lynn Creek Marina
09/11/2006 11:54 AM Pacific Time

I have a 1987 C22 with a split backstay and I have the double ended mainsheet hardware from Catalina Direct. I find that the mainsheet rubs on the split backstay if I have any tension at all on the backstay adjuster. I have considered moving the blocks at the end of my boom forward a few inches to correct the problem. I think it has always rubbed, even before the double ended rigging was added. I wanted to check and see if others have this same problem & how they fixed it or if I have something setup wrong.

Thanks!

Joe
Louis Plaisance
PRAIRIEVILLE, LA

Boat Name: Saint Benedict

Model/Year: C22/1988

Hull No. 14686

Hailing Port: Lake PONTCHARTRAIN, LA
09/11/2006 8:33 PM Pacific Time

Hello Joe,

I have an '88 with the same set up and have not experienced anything like you describe. Could it be the PO changed the lenght of the boom? If it is longer than 10' that is your problem.

Good luck,

ljp
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
09/12/2006 8:45 AM Pacific Time

Joe,
I will be at the noon lunch next Sunday and would be happy to look at the problem with you and others in the club. It does sound like the boom is too long.
Al Ge
Louis Plaisance
PRAIRIEVILLE, LA

Boat Name: Saint Benedict

Model/Year: C22/1988

Hull No. 14686

Hailing Port: Lake PONTCHARTRAIN, LA
09/12/2006 9:42 PM Pacific Time

Hello Joe,

While fiddling with my boat this afternoon, this thought occured to me. Maybe your boom is too high on the mast. For your boat, the upper edge of the boom should be no higher than 39 inches off the mast plate.

Good Luck,

ljp

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Mainsheet Rubs Split Backstay