Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Yamaha 6HP

Author Yamaha 6HP
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
09/16/2006 6:41 PM Pacific Time

I have a 1987 Yamaha 6HP that I bought used this year. It runs well with one exception. I came home from the Great Lakes cruise, put the boat back in the water at Buck Creek here in Ohio. I didn't get back to the lake for about a week. When I did, the motor started fine, but after a couple of minutes stopped running. It stopped much like it would when you unplug the fule line and let it drain. A friend of mine and I pulled the plugs and checked them and check the flow through the fuel line. All was fine. Finally we unbolted the carburetor and cleaned all the parts and reassembled it. It started and ran fine after that. Again I had a pereiod of a week or so before getting back to the boat. Again I checked the plugs. They were fine. I pulled the carburetor, cleaned the needle valve and reassembled it. Now it runs again.

Have any other Yamaha owners had this problem? If so, anyone have any solutions? I'm sure I am going to tire of having to take the carb apart every few weeks.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bob
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
09/17/2006 9:49 AM Pacific Time

Have you checked and/or cleaned out the fuel tank? Also be sure the vent on the tank is clear and use fresh fuel if you haven't already changed it.
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
09/18/2006 8:33 AM Pacific Time

Bob,

That is good advise from Greg. Take a hard look at your fuel when you drain the tank. It won't hurt to run some low pressure air backwards through the fuel line into the tank also then rinse and drain again. Have you checked the fuel filter on the engine? I am almost certain that it has one. You should replace this filter annually. It could be that it is halfway plugged up and not allowing sufficient fuel flow during normal operations. You didn't mention if the engine will continue to idle or if it quits under all conditions.

Clean your fuel tank
Fill with fresh fuel
R&R Fuel Filter on motor

Your problems should be solved.

Another Greg
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
09/18/2006 9:16 AM Pacific Time

Greg & Greg,

Thanks for the feedback. I am getting an overwhelming vote for bad gas. I have replaced the fuel filter. I did that as well as the fuel line after the first episode. I am almost certain that the needle valve is sticking. When I pulled the carburetor the second time, there was no fuel in the bowl, both the fuel line was clear and fuel flowed freely through it. I also checked the plugs. They worked fine.

My plan is to replace the fuel and when I am through sailing for the day, I am going to disconnect the fuel line and let the enginine burn the fuel remaining in the bowl. The will take the pressure off of the needle valve and maybe reduce the tendency to stick.

Again, I appreciate the feedback.

Bob
Wallace Ting
Queens, New York

Boat Name: Teacher's Pet

Model/Year: 1988 Wing Keel

Hull No. 14571

Hailing Port: Queens, New York
09/18/2006 10:20 AM Pacific Time

Bad fuel sounds about right. We use our engines so little that whenever I fill up the tank, I always use the premium fuel from a name-brand station. The extra dollar is just for my peace of mind.
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
09/18/2006 2:47 PM Pacific Time

I'd like to add my 4 cents to this discussion.
This year, I put on a 2004 left over HOnda 8HP, 4 stroke OB. Hooray and what a dandy motor she is, but the man who put it on my boat at the yacht basin used the ethanol fuel to get her to the slip. I was not thrilled about it and put that in my car, filled up the boat's tank with regular gasoline and went out motoring to finish off the break in period. (several hours). All seemed well and I felt that the mix of the ethanol and the reg. gas was run out of the carb. Did not use the motor for about 2-3 weeks, and then, it would not start. Paid the dealer $90 to come to my boat, drain the carb and you should have seen the BROWN gasoline that came out of it. He hooked up the reg gas to her and let her for at least 20 minutes, smoking like the dickens. Looked like a 32 stroke with too much oil in the gas. Finally, he checked what was in the carb and it was clear, so the problem was solved....Just be sure you don't mix the two gasolines and if you change from one to the other, you have to drain the carb, not just run it as the entire amt of gasoline will not run out of bowl--per the dealer. Same goes for lawn mowers, etc. We are taught to assume that if the motor stops running, the gasoline is gone from the carb, but it still has some left in it.

And, by the way, does anyone know where the plugs are located on that Honda Motor? I can't find those suckers. Can ask the dealer, but since I have your attention, maybe someone can give me a clue.

Thanks!
Linda
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
09/18/2006 2:49 PM Pacific Time

PS: I should have proof read my story..I see some errors and you will find them, too. Please ignore them!! :0)
Linda
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
09/23/2006 2:02 PM Pacific Time

Hi Linda,

I am a farmer and a strong supporter of ethanol. The product works great in autos, tractors and other large motor vehicles but in our little one and two cylinder poppers it is not a good idea to use the fuel. The ethanol that the dealer put in your motor probably had enough time to thoroughly clean out your fuel system of any contaminants. It also has a tendency to accumulate water in our seldom used engine fuel tanks. I am glad that your experience was relatively painless (except for the $90) It could have been worse, you could have been miles from the dock with no wind.

Greg

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Yamaha 6HP