Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / 150% Genoa size and tacking.

Author 150% Genoa size and tacking.
rick
Waukesha, WI.

Boat Name: Gotta Fly

Model/Year: Cat-22/1987

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Milwaukee
09/21/2006 8:29 AM Pacific Time

I have always sailed with a 110% jib and I have just upgraded to a 150%genoa and I am curious how do you tack with a jib that big. I would think that the wear and tear having that much sail area rubbing across everything every time you tacked would wear the the sail out quicker. Maybe this isn't a big issue, but again, maybe there is a secret I don't know yet.
Wallace Ting
Queens, New York

Boat Name: Teacher's Pet

Model/Year: 1988 Wing Keel

Hull No. 14571

Hailing Port: Queens, New York
09/21/2006 10:14 AM Pacific Time

rick, there are some "wheel like" things you can attach to your stays so that the genoa doesn't get caught or ripped when tacking. when i get home i can give you the link because it escapes me at the moment the website i saw them on.

i agree though, in light winds it is a pain in the neck to tack because the wind doesn't really help much in pushing the genoa to the other side, but in moderate to heavy winds i have no problems at all.
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Boat Name: Cha-Ching

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10448

Hailing Port: Beaver Lake, Arkansas
09/21/2006 2:46 PM Pacific Time

I'd like that link, too. But have you actually tried the "wheel like thing"? Do they work?
Nancy of Cha-Ching
Wallace Ting
Queens, New York

Hull No. 14571

09/21/2006 3:39 PM Pacific Time

rick and nancy,

after some lookiing around i found it at the sailcare website. here's the link: http://www.sailcare.com/newcatalog/LGSHTML/sailsaverLG.shtml.

they are called jib protectors. i haven't used them on my own boat since i have a 110, but one of my friends has a c30 and uses them on his boat and seems to like them.

hope that helps.
Buff Decker
Scottsdale, AZ

Boat Name: Princess

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 11333

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
09/21/2006 3:51 PM Pacific Time

If you look at the racing pictures on the national web page http://www.catalina22.org/nsa/racing/2001Nationals/[email protected]
you can see that the racers simply put 4 or 5 feet of light weight PVC pipe around the shrouds, big enough to cover the turnbuckles. There are no hang ups and the PVC pipes are easy on the sail.
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Boat Name: Cha-Ching

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10448

Hailing Port: Beaver Lake, Arkansas
09/21/2006 6:32 PM Pacific Time

Great suggestion! I'll try that.
rick
Waukesha, WI.

Boat Name: Gotta Fly

Model/Year: Cat-22/1987

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Milwaukee
09/22/2006 8:55 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the input.
I am aware of the stay protectors but having only been on a J24 with 150% Genoa (albeit only 4 knots of wind) of which we had to walk the sail around when tacking. I thought there would be a lot more items for the sail to catch on, especially around the mast. It sounds like in a higher wind, the sail moves around much easier than I was suspecting. Interesting though about those jibsavers. There is all kinds of sailing gadgets out there to separate your money from your wallet.
Wallace Ting
Queens, New York

Hull No. 14571

09/22/2006 10:13 AM Pacific Time

rick, i haven't done it, but you might be able to rig your own "jib saver" using some pipe as described above or even making your own "wheel" to go around the stays. i can't imagine it being very difficult and this might be a project i'll pursue in the near future.

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / 150% Genoa size and tacking.