Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Gelcoat repair in cabin and hull - please help

Author Gelcoat repair in cabin and hull - please help
Wallace Ting
Queens, New York

Boat Name: Teacher's Pet

Model/Year: 1988 Wing Keel

Hull No. 14571

Hailing Port: Queens, New York
09/26/2006 4:34 AM Pacific Time

Hi guys, a few questions if I could.

My boat, which I just bought, has numerous scratches in both the cockpit and on the hull. I was able to fix many of the scratches on the hull by reading Don Casey's book; I opened the crack, activated with styrene, added gelcoat, sanded, and put on poli-glow.

However, there are two running stripes across my hull - a small, narrow red stripe at the top and a thicker blue stripe at the bottom. Both of these "stripes" have a few scratches on them and the color on them seems to be fading away. I guess the main concern here is that I don't know if the stripes were painted on or actually part of the gelcoat.

Question 1 - How should I repair the scratches in the stripes?

Question 2 - Should I just remove the stripes and reapply them? How would I remove them? How would I reapply them?

Question 3 - How would I repair cracks in my cockpit seat? The reason I ask is because the seat is not really level, it has a ridged surface.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
09/27/2006 4:35 AM Pacific Time

Wallace, I assume that you are talking about the cove and boot stripes. The cove stripe is about an inch below the rub rail and the boot stripe is at or just above the waterline and/or any bottom paint you may have.

On my boat the cove stripe is part of the gel coat, but the boot stripe was painted on. On an earlier boat I once owned both stripes were part of the gel coat.. I too had the fading problem. I painted them with Interlux Brightside Polyurethane. First rough up the surface, mask it off an the paint. I sprayed using one of those spray bottles you can get at just about any hardware store. Works like a champ.

If you have a really steady hand, West Marine sells tape for striping boats.
William Bell
Pt. Orange, FL

Boat Name: Phoenix

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. #13784

Hailing Port: Pt. Orange,FL
09/27/2006 5:21 AM Pacific Time

My 87 has both stripes in the gel coat. I would either just paint as stated before, or, use a tape product. The odds of matching the gel coat color... would be very hard. But could be done, I guess.

--Bill
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
09/27/2006 11:07 AM Pacific Time

While we are on the gel coat thing, I have a very old 'Scout' dinghy of fibreglass and it is very chalky on the hull. I'd like to make it look like the shiny hulls you see on new boats. Is it a tough job to do yourself or best left to pros? I am assuming that you spray gel coat on, but is it possible to roll it?
Thanks!
Linda
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
09/27/2006 12:12 PM Pacific Time

Linda, if I may interject a thought here. Unless the gelcoat is completely gone, it may be possible to clean it up and use a product called Poli Glow. From what I have heard, it can make a hull look like new and last a long time. Also, much easlier than applying a new coat of gelcoat.

Peter
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Hull No. t/c

09/27/2006 11:16 PM Pacific Time

Peter:
Thanks much. Can that be gotten at West Marine?
Linda
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
09/28/2006 8:08 AM Pacific Time

Linda, go to "http://usawaterways.com/poliglow/poliglow.htm"
At the bottom of the screen is a link to email Bob Kleim (or call him); he's a fellow C22 sailor. He can help you with the poli glow.

Peter
Steven Keplinger
Severna Park MD 21146

Boat Name: Nifty

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. CTYH7999M78B

Hailing Port: Round Bay
09/28/2006 3:36 PM Pacific Time

All gelcoat gets tired. When you can no longer polish it up, it's still possible to have a great looking boat; paint it!

Two part poly's can be made to look as good as the original gelcoat. It's a lot of work; but they hold up for years and years. Be sure to read how to protect yourself when applying. These are not user friendly paints.

Good ol' boat paint works too!
Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam, NY

Boat Name: CjAndeai

Model/Year: C-22 1989

Hull No. 15021

Hailing Port: Great Sacandaga Lake
09/29/2006 3:12 AM Pacific Time

Linda, on 'old scout' , I would try using 1000, 1200, and 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper. First clean the hull really well, then, using a sandpaper block start with the 1000 grit, keeping it wet. Go through and do the entire hull, rinse and go to using the 1200 grit, and repeat , then go the 1500 grit and repeat . After that rinse the hull clean . The sanding block works ok for large flat areas, but I find that using my hand works better for me. After the hull is dry, buff it out with a good rubbing compound. I do this by hand as well , but a elecrtic auto buffer would go quicker. I would try this first before investing into a new paint or gel coat job. I hope that you try this, I think that you will be happy with the results. Jay P.S. A good hardware store, or an auto body/parts store will be able to set you up with the wet/dry sandpaper.
Bob Keim
Nashville

Boat Name: Pursuit

Model/Year: C22/1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Nashville
09/29/2006 4:35 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the kind words Peter. :)

Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Hull No. t/c

09/29/2006 7:16 PM Pacific Time

Thanks fellows, very much, for the info. It sounds like a winter project!
Linda
Wallace Ting
Queens, New York

Boat Name: Teacher's Pet

Model/Year: 1988 Wing Keel

Hull No. 14571

Hailing Port: Queens, New York
10/08/2006 5:11 PM Pacific Time

Hi guys, thanks for all your help on the gelcoat scratch repair question, it helped me immensely.

On my boat I have a large blue stripe which runs around the hull near the bottom, and a smaller red stripe running around the boat at the top.

Are these stripes painted onto the gelcoat, or are they gelcoat themselves? How can I tell if I'm unsure?

The stripes are pretty faded in some parts and have scratches in others. What would be the best way to try and fix them?

If they are gelcoat - should I dye the gelcoat that color and apply? I think it would be difficult to get a good color match.

Should I remove the stripes entirely and reapply? How could / should I remove them?

If they are paint - should I just paint over them? What paint material should I use?

Many thanks in advance for helping a newbie out.
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
10/15/2006 7:15 PM Pacific Time

Hi Wallace, I have both a blue cove stripe and the blue bootstripe at the waterline on a white hull. From what I can see, it appears that during the construction, the mold is sprayed with white gel coat first with the boot and cove stripes masked off. Then after that cures, the cove and boot stripes are unmasked and the inside is resprayed with the blue. This is only a guess, but I found that if I grind away the white gelcoat anywhere on the hull ( I have not made any repairs to the tansom yet), I find the blue gelcoat under it.
The blue is most likely gelcoat. The red might be too, but the only wa to tell for sure is to scrape some of it off. If there is white under it or some other color (other than bare fiberglass), it is likely paint. I highly recomend that you get a copy of "Sailboat Refinishing" by Don Casey. I can recomend any of his books as they have helped me immensly. Also go to yachtpaint.com and download the application manual for 2 part poly paint (Perfection or what ever type you are considering) to get a look at what you are getting into.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Gelcoat repair in cabin and hull - please help