Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Motor bracket replacement

Author Motor bracket replacement
Jim Crawford
Chapel Hil, N C

Boat Name: none

Model/Year: 1986 CATALINA 22

Hull No. CTYH 3149G586

Hailing Port: Kerr lake Stel Creek Marina
10/05/2006 10:05 PM Pacific Time

A 75 yr old sailer would really apprecaite some expert advice.
a. Anyone know what kind of Phillip round head bolts hold the motor bracket on a Cat. 22, 1986? I've seen large tapered wood screws with Phillips head, but not bolts with nuts. Can I just put vice grip pliers on a large Phillip screwdriver and unscrew them like big wood screws, or are there nuts holding them on inside the transom that will turn or fall down when I remove those screws?
-Or, do I have to cut a hole through my cockpit to reach in and replace the nuts?
-Or, is there a threaded plate cemented inside to the transom?
b. Will an 80 lb heavy aluminum "Gull Wing" bracket, or a 2 spring D1108 Catalina tubular steel bracket fit the original hole spacing?
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
10/06/2006 6:01 AM Pacific Time

Jim, on my '86 model I access the transom by going through the compartment behind the aft dinette seat. There is a tremendous amount of wasted space there. My motor mount is attached with stainless carriage bolts on the exterior leading to a backer plate on the interior. My boat came with a heavy duty motor mount like the one in the CD catalog. There is no evidence, insde or out, of any holes being drilled to install the new bracket.

I don't think there is any chance of having wood screws holding the mount on. I would also think that there is enough sealant/corrosion that removing bolts would not allow the mount to drop. It has been a number of years since I rebedded my mount, but as I remember the bolts were 2 1/4" long. They also go through the exterior transom and an interior liner. I put sealant on the hull around the holes on the hull and placed a small daub of sealent on the flat edge of the carriage bolt heads and inserted them in the holes. My grandson helped me hold it in position while I went inside and tightened the bolts.

By the way I'm 67, 6' 2" and 235 lbs.

Good luck with you project
Gordon Thomas
Ruston ,Louisiana

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/07/2006 6:58 AM Pacific Time

Jim on my 86 model I just replaced the motor mount. I got the 4 spring model from Catalina Direct . They said all there brackets had the same size holes and spacing as came on the boat. It fit perfect. I crawled in the port side all the way to the back , very easy. I used stainless bolts with hex head bolts, drilled 2 extra holes for a total of six. They are easy to tighten. I also put a large backing plate on the inside to hould my new Honda 9.9 power thrust outboard. Now it is better than stock. Gordon 1986 Catalina Bon Reve

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Motor bracket replacement