Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Outhaul config on older C22?

Author Outhaul config on older C22?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
11/12/2006 8:11 AM Pacific Time

I bought #8075 last year, and have been working to get it back into sailing shape. This weekend I was rigging it, and came across an outhaul sitaution I don't understand. Basically, there is an outhaul line on the main, but no apparent place to attach it on the boom. (I have a pic I can send which shows all this...if you want to see it, email me at .) I would have expected a cam cleat, or a turning block and cam cleat, on the boom, but there is only the outhaul line attached to the foot.

My question is, can anyone describe how the outhaul is supposed to run on a circa 1978 C-22? I can rig my own outhaul, but I'd sure like to know what the original plan was before I do.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Eric
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
11/13/2006 5:46 AM Pacific Time

I'm not sure what the original was but there are two multiple purchase types in the CD catalog that I would reccommend that you install because the original just doesn't allow for convenient adjustment. I have built one for a larger boat and it isn't all that hard, you just have to find a tie-off spot for the fixed multi-sheave block, I put it on a bolt near the front of the boom where it was easy to get at. The moving block only has to move about a foot or so, so the line doesn't have to be too long, with preferably wire rope out the back end of the boom round a small block to the clue of the sail. The exit hole for the control line should be near the aft end of the hatch for convenience, The Bulletproof style uses a cam cleat which is ok, but I found it would pull loose with the weight of the rope, so I mounted a small horned cleat on the side of the boom that we just hang the control line on so that it doesn't pull off and release. Also, the Bulletproof style has an exceptional number of parts that is a little over kill, but then again, Gene built that for Cathy who only weighs about 100 pounds wringing wet. So make your own choice, I got it for half price so I use it as is, it works fine.
Al Ge

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
11/13/2006 5:43 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Al for the response.

I did just get a response back from Catalina Yachts along with a copy of the original rigging diagram for a '78, and here's the deal...at that time, you simply had a line at the clew that you deadended to the pad eye on the top of the boom. Simplicity itself!

However, I will be installing at least a cam cleat for the line, and probably some blocks for purchase and turning.

In any case, a big pat on the back to Catalina Yachts for taking the time to research this for the owner of a nearly 30 yr old boat. They've helped me out a couple of other times, and I'm always astonished with their service.

Eric
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
11/14/2006 2:51 PM Pacific Time

Eric, mine was the same as yours and I changed to a 4:1 external outhaul. I built my own but Catalina Direct sells both kits. You must not have the Catalina Direct handbook from C.D. or you wouldn't be asking these questions. The handbook which includes almost anything you can think of is indispensible to me.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
11/14/2006 5:20 PM Pacific Time

Hi Dick,

Actually, I do have the CD handbook, but it does not have a diagram of the original rigging, which is what I asked about. Basically, I just wanted to know what Catalina had intended.

As my original post said, "My question is, can anyone describe how the outhaul is supposed to run on a circa 1978 C-22? I can rig my own outhaul, but I'd sure like to know what the original plan was before I do."

Eric
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
11/16/2006 3:49 PM Pacific Time

Eric, as said earlier be sure you put the adjustment point to the line where you can reach it when sailing downwind. Some arrange it with turns to come to the cabin top or lock it off on the boom but not so far back you can't reach it when the boom is let out.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Outhaul config on older C22?