Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / C-25 fixed Keel Bolts Very Rusty replace?

Author C-25 fixed Keel Bolts Very Rusty replace?
jim
bethany ct

Boat Name: knothisidea

Model/Year: 1982 c25

Hull No. 2174

Hailing Port: milford
11/23/2006 5:49 PM Pacific Time

I have a 1982 C-25 and the boat is in pristene condition except for my Keel bolts. She is always bone dry inside. The pump dosn't come on unles one if the kids spills something! My fixed keel bolts are pretty rusty. I'd say 40-50% gone on the nuts. Is it time to think about replacing them? Are there any known cases of the keel falling off? I'm not sure if it's glassed ion as well. I believ I have the cast iron keel.

I see the retro fit kit for well over 200 bucks. What is special about this as compared to buying 1/2' bolts and washers in stainless?

What is done to instal this kit? where do you drill- I would think right next to the old bolt?

I can't see me getting these old bolts off. I was considering putting a washer and additional stainless nut over each one in the even they did break I wouldn't lose the keel.

What are the chances of these breaking off? If it neds to be fixed I'll do it but any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks...Jim
jim
bethany ct

Boat Name: knothisidea

Model/Year: 1982 c25

Hull No. 2174

Hailing Port: milford
11/26/2006 4:37 PM Pacific Time

Anybody? Has anyone doen this or know of any C-25 that the fixed Keel "fell off"?

I looked at it today and the nuts are probably about 40% rusted. There is a lot left and I would think I'd have to hit somehting pretty hard to knock off the keel.

I can't see ading lag screws with the CD kit. I don't see much strength in a lag screw into cast iron?
Kip C
Cincinnati, Ohio

Boat Name: Knot Work / Quietude

Model/Year: '86 Cat 22 / '90 Cat 25

Hull No. 13358 / 6021

Hailing Port: Brookville Lake, Indiana
11/27/2006 3:42 AM Pacific Time

Jim,
Ask your question at www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum. I know of at least 1 person there has dealt with your problem.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / C-25 fixed Keel Bolts Very Rusty replace?