Cruising Issues

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / Inflatable kayak as dinghy

Author Inflatable kayak as dinghy
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Boat Name: Cha-Ching

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10448

Hailing Port: Beaver Lake, Arkansas
12/31/2006 2:52 PM Pacific Time

A friend has a two-seater inflatable kayak that I'm thinking of buying for a dinghy in case I get to go down to the regatta in Florida in May. It folds up to a small box shape, weighs only 32 pounds and is easily and quickly inflatable. Our little Catalina 22 s are so small themselves that I can't see getting much more than this as a dinghy. I remember reading the story in the club magazine about various dinghys and how people managed who didn't have them. Wouldn't this be a good idea for cruising and for here on our lake for if/when I wanted to go ashore?

Kevin M. Morton
Sacramento, Ca

Boat Name: Serenity

Model/Year: 1976 C27SR

Hull No. 2366

Hailing Port: Richmond, Ca
09/22/2008 11:15 AM Pacific Time

The only issue I can think of would be could you safely board it without tipping it, especially if you happen to be in surge. I know that people are able to do it, ecause I see people all over my marina with kayaks for tenders, so you may want to make a trip to our nearest marina and ask around. In fact, I may do the same, as that sounds like a great idea for me too!

Cruising Issues
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / Inflatable kayak as dinghy