Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Shroud Casings

Author Shroud Casings
Scott
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Promiseland

Model/Year: C22 Swing Keel/1985

Hull No. 12982

Hailing Port: Tomahawk Bay, Portland OR
01/04/2007 1:15 PM Pacific Time

The shrouds on my 1985 C22 have somekind of plastic coating, perhaps even shrink wrap covering them from where they attach to the turnbuckle to about 6 feet up each shroud. I'm sure this is to protect the sails, but some of it has broke loose and I would like to inspect my shrouds so I want to cut it off. Does anyone know what this stuff is, or what I should use to replace it? I don't think it's sail tape as it's a continuous coating.

thanks!
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
01/04/2007 1:55 PM Pacific Time

Sounds like shroud covers. You can find them on the West Marine, APS and Catalina Direct websites.
Thomas Jay Holz
Amsterdam, NY

Boat Name: CjAndeai

Model/Year: C-22 1989

Hull No. 15021

Hailing Port: Great Sacandaga Lake
01/04/2007 6:38 PM Pacific Time

Hi Scott, I think paul nailed it. It does sound like shroud covers to me as well. I f they are white, and look like very skinny pieces of pvc pipe, then they would be shroud covers. They most likely been on since day one, and have become very brittle. They should have a slit down them as well, so to clip over the shrouds and, as you said help protect the sails. If they are not to brittle, you should be able to peel them off, and replace them with new if you like. Have fun, and take care, Jay

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Shroud Casings