Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Rot Under Mast Step Plate

Author Rot Under Mast Step Plate
Scott
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Promiseland

Model/Year: C22 Swing Keel/1985

Hull No. 12982

Hailing Port: Tomahawk Bay, Portland OR
01/06/2007 7:50 PM Pacific Time

After remonving the mast on my 1985 C22 for some maintenance I noticed my mast step plate was loose. I removed the step plate and proceded to drill out the original bolt holes through the deck so I could fill them with epoxy and redrill new holes. However, upon drilling the holes out I discovered the wood core around the holes is rotten. How can I determine the extent of the rot, and how can this be repaired? I also discovered rot around the hole through the deck the mast light connector wires go through. My deck does not sag, and does not feel weak anywhere. Hopefully this is local rot that is easy to repair.

On another note, I discovered that my mast step plate was mounted on top of a 1-inch thick clear plastic brick which is on top of a ss plate and all are bolted together to the deck. The plastic brick had been broken and glued back together in the past. Is this plastic brick normal, or is it an add on? It makes me nervous that it was broken and glued back together. Should I order the improved mast step plate and replace this customized plastic block system? Isn't the mast step plate supposed to be bolted directly to the deck?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/07/2007 7:28 PM Pacific Time

Scott,

Under the area covered by the mast step you can drill a series of holes and test for sound wood. If everything checks out you just fill them with epoxy.

As for the block under the mast, lets investigate why it is there (i.e. is the mast short). The mast extrusion for an old-style should be 25', and the mast extrusion for a new-style should be 24' 9". Some boats add a block when the mast gets shortened when dealing with damage. The C22NSA class racing rules do permit the base of the extrusion to be raised one inch above cabin top level. The block is also used some times to deal with stretched rigging when there isn't enough adjustment left in the turnbuckles. We'd have to start with your mast's length to understand why you might have a block.

Dale
Scott
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Promiseland

Model/Year: C22 Swing Keel/1985

Hull No. 12982

Hailing Port: Tomahawk Bay, Portland OR
01/08/2007 7:44 PM Pacific Time

Dale, thanks for the info, sorry I missed you at the boat show! I'm wintering my boat in my father's shop in Salem, so I'll measure the mast when I go down this weekend; the mast does appear to be somewhat customized. I do hope to get into the racing scene a bit and would like to make sure everything is legal.

-Scott

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Rot Under Mast Step Plate