Cruising Issues

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / Salt water issues

Author Salt water issues
Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Boat Name: Joyful

Model/Year: 1977 C22

Hull No. 7200

Hailing Port: Plunder Bay Orwell VT
01/18/2007 4:56 AM Pacific Time

After many years of sailing in Vermont my wife and I are ready to move to a warmer climate. We were thinking South Carolina the boat is coming with us so my question is
What preparations does one make when moving a boat from a fresh water environment to a coastal salt water area that is almost year round sailing Also where is a good place to sail . Inland or coastal. It may seem a simple question from a long time sailor but all of my life I have sailed the big lakes

thanks Uwe
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
01/19/2007 7:26 PM Pacific Time

Uwe, I think you want to mak certain that your rigging, uppers and lowers, is in good shape. Also your keel cable should be checked. Also, depending on where you locate tidal ranges and current can but pretty heavy demands on your outboard.

Where to go is a great question. I personally like Edisto Beach South of Charleston. The Edisto River is qujite nice. It is shallow in spots, but for our boats it is good. You also have access to the ocean. Georgetown is also a nice area. Winyah Bay offers pretty nice sailing. Charleston is also a nice area. The harbor is wide open, but busy, and I have seen any number of day sailers on it.

If you want to go a bit further south the Simons Island/Brunswick, Georgia area offers some nice sailing territory.

In the other direction, Oriental, North Carolina is also nice. The area seems committed to sailing, and bills itself as the sailing capitol of North Carolina. Although property values have risen daramatically in the past few years, bargains are still available. The Neusse River is quite large and on occasion can offer some adventure sailing.
Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Hull No. 7200

01/20/2007 5:04 AM Pacific Time

Thanks R.C.

Thanks The boat is in great shape with the mast completely upgraded this year
new lights spreaders ect. The one area I never thought of was a larger engine,
My six horse two stroke works fine here but an upgrade to a 4 stroke nine might be in order
or would that be too heavy. I will google the areas you mentioned. Currently I have 2 homes we are interested in, in Conway SC that are in the budget and have room for the boat The boat first then the house then my wife, It took over 20 years to get to this point.
Some friends I have talked to say sell the 22 and go larger but I dont think that is the answer to quality sailing ,just a different style in the same boat.
Uwe

Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
01/28/2007 3:42 PM Pacific Time

I'm not a salt water boater but I think that you should check that you have the sacrificial zinc pieces:

Keel Zinc Set for Cast Iron Keel
Product #: D1882

Also you should have something on your motor as well for this. It may have a piece from the factory but that may need replaced more often.

I think that the rigging can corrode in a salt enviornment quicker so the shrouds and winches need checking /cleaned or oiled more often.
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
01/29/2007 11:38 AM Pacific Time

I don't know if your model year still had the closed undersized turnbuckles but they corrode very quickly in salt water. The corrosion is internal and the outside can still look shiny. I lost the mast on a '75 because of this. CD sells a complete rigging kit very reasonably and if you have any doubts about the rigging it may be prudent to renew, especially if you have old style turnbuckles. As mentioned previously, Keel zincs are also very important. Find out which bottom paint is preferred locally as growth is much more of a problem in salt water and remember to thoroughly rinse boat and trailer(if used) with lots of fresh water, especially in the brake area. Always run fresh water through the engine after each use.
Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Hull No. 7200

01/30/2007 3:19 AM Pacific Time

Thanks
Iv had zinc on the boat for several years now and they help in fresh water also.
I still have the old style turnbuckles, even though they get disassembled and inspected each year, replacement should be in order. Bottom paint is a must in fresh water also, How about interior problems, like stove and the winch cable.
Uwe
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
01/30/2007 8:48 AM Pacific Time

the ends of the winch cable take a beating from corrosion but the winch itself will rust. I coated the winch drum and cable with corrosion resistant grease regularly and replaced the cable periodically. Make sure you grease the threads of the keel lock down pin also. I never had problems with the interior of the boat.

Cruising Issues
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / Salt water issues