Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Sail cloth weight

Author Sail cloth weight
Gary
Hayden, ID

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C-22, 1976

Hull No. 5092

Hailing Port: Bayview
02/16/2007 4:27 PM Pacific Time

I am currently sailing with the stock 110 that came with the boat and am looking for a 150 Genoa. My sailing knowledge is limited - mainly crusing with an occasional race just for fun. Mostly just looking for extra performance in the light puffy conditions we get out here. I've narrowed it down to CD Ullman (4.93 oz) and a Rolly Tasker (4.0 oz) mainly for the cost. What would you choose and why? How much difference does the cloth weight matter?
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
02/16/2007 5:11 PM Pacific Time

Gary,
You may want to have a look at this:
http://www.c22region10.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=126

David
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
02/20/2007 1:13 PM Pacific Time

The cloth weight is a factor in performance and longevity. If you are sailing in light air most of the time, the lighter sail will perform better depending on the abilities of the sailor (perfectionist for speed, aka: "racer"). The down side is that it won't hold up as long, gets stretched out faster and gets too baggy and looses pointing ability for those same perfectionist sailors. If you were sailing on San Francisco Bay you would definetly want to go with the heavier sail. It sounds like your sailing is mostly in light air, so short of serious racing either one should work.

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Sail cloth weight