Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / keel winch drum

Author keel winch drum
greg klein
hotsprings, arkansas

Boat Name: elena

Model/Year: 1977 c27

Hull No. 3477

Hailing Port: brady mountain marina,lake ouacita
02/25/2007 8:45 PM Pacific Time

my keel winch looks like new, works like new but has the small diameter drum. has anyone put a larger drum in their older keel winch and how. thanks for ny tips as i cant really afford a new winch right now
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
02/26/2007 5:57 AM Pacific Time

Greg, rather than replacing the whole drum, if you can find or make a round dowl about 2 1/2 to 3 inches diameter, measure the diameter of the hub and drill a hole that size down the middle. Then round of the inside edges to match the drum, saw it in half, and epoxy it to the drum. I have done this on two boat winches. When things are going well I have been able to give the handle a throw and it unwinds itself. That doesn't work all the time, but it cut the turns from about 60 to 26.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
02/26/2007 6:59 AM Pacific Time

send them an email for parts.
http://www.arco-winches.com/
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
02/26/2007 9:55 AM Pacific Time

About beefing up the diameter of the winch drum: Would gluing several layers of PVC pipe of proper diameter, cut in half be feasible?
greg klein
hotsprings, arkansas

Boat Name: elena

Model/Year: 1977 c27

Hull No. 3477

Hailing Port: brady mountain marina,lake ouacita
02/28/2007 6:00 PM Pacific Time

al, thanks for the info. i am assuming that is a wooden dowel my concern is does the wood wear away or do you protect it somehow. thanks again. p s linda that was my original thought but i wasnt sure if it would wear away either.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
03/01/2007 5:56 AM Pacific Time

I used pressure treated wood and it was still in good shape when I sold 501 a couple of years later. There is not a lot of wear, it just rolls up and down. If plastic is easier for you to work with, as Linda suggested, I see no reason for not using plastic pipe. I just work in wood so that is what I used.
Al Ge
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
03/13/2007 3:24 AM Pacific Time

When I restored my keel winch, I widened the diameter of the spool hub with a piece of pipe welded to the original hub. See:

http://www.chipford.com/keel_winch.htm

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
CTY032820374
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / keel winch drum