Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / cant find leak

Author cant find leak
greg klein
hotsprings, arkansas

Boat Name: elena

Model/Year: 1977 c27

Hull No. 3477

Hailing Port: brady mountain marina,lake ouacita
02/25/2007 8:51 PM Pacific Time

when it rains, i am having water drip onto my galley. it looks like it is coming in , around or somewhere by the underneath seam on the starboard seat in the cabin area. anyone have any ideas where it might be coming from. i have completely removed and rebedded every piece on the deck and still it is coming in HELP
steve smith
rothesay nb canada

Boat Name: all hours

Model/Year: 1975?

Hull No. 4928

Hailing Port: rothesay yacht club
02/26/2007 4:41 AM Pacific Time

If your boat is a pop-top the foam weather strip has a gap in it or something is blocking the drains around the front and sides.One rainy night the bitter end of a halyard was left tucked along the port side of the potop and enough water backed up to drip in.I didn't think it would since the cabin top is lower that the rim of the companionway but for whatever murphy's law applys....cheers.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
02/26/2007 4:47 AM Pacific Time

Greg, I had a leak like that and eventually noted that it was a function of the direction of the rain. It was coming in through the gap between the companion way boards and sliding hatch. Another trick someone taught me was to snap a series of chalk lines on the cabin wall. When the water runs down the wall it will wash away the chalk. It helped me find another leak from a lifeline stanchion. One note of caution with this method; the point where the water runs down the hull may not be the exact point of a leak. For instance, a leak at the forward edge of a cabin window may appear at the aft.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/26/2007 11:40 AM Pacific Time

The age of your boat suggests that there may be seams open between the deck and hull hidden behind the rub rail. I had water coming in in the galley area because the overboard drain on the hull empties in that area, and the water drains right over the rub rail. I finally ended up applying caulk all the way around the rub rail, top and bottom, and that cured it. Of course, if you are a real glutton for work, peel off the rub rail, clean out and recaulk the hull/deck join, and replace the rub rail. (Frankly, unless you are going for a full restoration, I don't see the need for it.) Anyhow, let a hose run over the deck for a half hour or so, so that water empties over the side of the boat and over the rub rail. If you find new water inside, caulk the rub rail. If not, keep searching.

Good luck!
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
02/27/2007 10:48 AM Pacific Time

If you have coaming boxes, a leak sometimes develops on the inside, under the box where it is bonded to the back of the deck/cockpit area. I had a similar leak and that is what happened.
KS
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
02/28/2007 3:36 PM Pacific Time

If the leak is minor, it could be condensation finding the lowest point. the chalk line is a good idea.
greg klein
hotsprings, arkansas

Boat Name: elena

Model/Year: 1977 c27

Hull No. 3477

Hailing Port: brady mountain marina,lake ouacita
02/28/2007 6:11 PM Pacific Time

thanks for all the suggestions. i did remove the entire rub rail when i rebedded everthing else and used 3m 4200 in every hole and screw. i will try the chalk line idea and hopefully can figure it out. on my other post i stll have a leak on the port side that comes down the inside of the hull. you can see it from under the rear dinette seat. the only thing i can thik of for that leak is the genoa track screws. any more ideas on that one would be great.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/28/2007 7:41 PM Pacific Time

Greg,

Having eliminated the rub rail, you are almost certainly going to find it is the windows, screw holes thru the cabin top or deck, or the like. If the boat is somewhere you can get a hose stream on it, that may help find it faster than waiting for Ma Nature to spray it down for you. In addition to a chalk line, you can also use a WATER BASED marking pen to draw a line under suspect areas.

Good luck in your search. Took me more time than I will admit to find that leak behind the rub rail on my boat...mainly because there was a very small area that was open and it took 30 minutes after water starting running over it before it wormed its way inside.
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
03/01/2007 6:21 AM Pacific Time

You'll find that cork was used under a lot of the handrails, after time has become degraded. This is another area that is leak prone.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / cant find leak