Safety

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Safety / Safety harness

Author Safety harness
Tim Seifert

Boat Name: Mary's Joy

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

Hailing Port: Holyrood, Newfoundland
02/26/2007 5:51 AM Pacific Time

Do you use a safety harness? If so, where do you attach it? There is a note in the C22 tech manual (Chapter 14 -- Tips) which mentions securing a padeye under the companionway, but I am having trouble picturing where that might be.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
02/27/2007 4:27 AM Pacific Time

I do use a safety harnass when the wind or weather tells me it is prudent. I have mounted padeyes on the jib tracks on both sides. I connect the harnass to the eye on the windward side. I have a 12' web tether attached to my inflatable harnass. I can get to just about any place on my boat I need to go.
Dan Graczyk
Port Townsend, WA

Boat Name: Cheers

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No. 14994

Hailing Port: Discovery Bay
02/28/2007 7:22 AM Pacific Time

I have some webbing I purchased from West Marine that I attach to the forward port cleat and run it to the aft port cleat. The dock is to starboard. I attach a carbiner to this webbing which is attached to a line and the other end hooks to the harnes on one of those vests that inflates when it hits the water. I can move the entire length of the boat and the line is long enough to go on both sides. I use this whenever I sail solo. I have additional gear so up to three people could hook on. There is enough webbing to go around the boat if necessary.

I like the padeye idea identified above as it is one less thing to do to get out.
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
03/01/2007 7:38 AM Pacific Time

If I understand these descriptions, they all seem like they would certainly keep one attached to the boat but it also seems like they would not prevent one from going overboard in which case the user becomes a body surfer. Am I missing something?
Michael Dekoekkoek
San Francisco

Boat Name: Yellow Brick Road

Model/Year: 1972 C22

Hull No. 1227

Hailing Port:
03/01/2007 9:29 AM Pacific Time

I've, thankfully, never had the opportunity to test this, but it's my understanding that if you clip on to the windward side and you do happen to fall overboard, the drag that your body creates will cause your boat to head into the wind, thereby stalling and allowing you to get back to the boat.

If you were sailing solo without a harness and using a tiller tamer or similar, you wouldn't be a body surfer, but you wouldn't have a boat either.
Dan Graczyk
Port Townsend, WA

Hull No. 14994

03/04/2007 12:17 PM Pacific Time

While it is true that you can still go overboard with this configuration, at least you are still attached and very close to the boat. Although I have never jumped off the boat to try this... our water is about 47 degrees... my guess is that I would be close enough to the rudder to move it and then pull the little release line I have attached to the ladder. I first tried hooking on with a short line so that I could not fall off but I ended up unhooking to reach this or that... which defeated the purpose.

I read a story about a guy using the trailing a 50 foot floating line with knots option, fell off and held on until many hours later his boat beached on a sandbar. The water was warm, so there was not a problem. But he lived to write the story...

In our waters I would have less than and an hour to get back on the boat, so I thought the harness with the clip on the jack line was the best approach to make sure I could get back on in a reasonable time. But I am always looking for better ways to do things, so I appreciate any other suggestions/experiences.
Glenn Warner
Jacksonville Florida

Boat Name: Goblin/JuJu

Model/Year: 1981/1972

Hull No. 10369/1222

Hailing Port: Jacksonville Florida
03/05/2007 3:59 AM Pacific Time

The term for dying while being dragged by your safety harness is tea bagging. A safety harness should be configured in such a way that you don't go into the water. Usually two attachment teathers, a long one and a short one are used. Seems confining but if you fall off the boat and are alone you will probably die. The connection at the harness end should be able to be released under load, not a carabineer. If you have an auto pilot on and get dragged behind, the boat won't round up regardless of which side you go over. I would recommend that if you feel the need for a safety harness/tether that you do serious investigation and buy a comercially made harness and teather and use strong attatchment points properly backed. If you are going to do it do it right and don't scrimp.
Dan Graczyk
Port Townsend, WA

Hull No. 14994

03/06/2007 9:08 AM Pacific Time

Greg,

"tea-bagging" so appropriate... the carabiner is on the jack line and the other end has a safety release on my life vest. I also do not have an auto pilot. Do you have any suggestions on where a short line should be mounted?
Tim Seifert

Boat Name: Mary's Joy

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

Hailing Port: Holyrood, Newfoundland
03/19/2007 5:57 AM Pacific Time

Would you consider clipping the tether to either the stainless steel vang ring on the mast step plate or the whisker pole padeye on the front of the mast? Are they strong enough?
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
03/19/2007 6:52 AM Pacific Time

I think the whisker pole ring or the vang hound would be strong enough for a safety harness connection, but I think a connection point on the deck would be safer; consider the complications of being tethered to your mast if it comes down.....
razia
Dubai

Boat Name: raziasultan

Model/Year: 2021

Hull No. 123456789

Hailing Port: 123456789
10/06/2021 5:55 AM Pacific Time

a protection harness is a machine of restraints that prevent the wearer from falling from a peak. ... the harness lets in the person to connect themselves to a stationary object, consequently ensuring they will no longer hit the floor inside the event of a fall. Canada Immigration From Dubai
razia
Dubai

Boat Name: raziasultan

Model/Year: 2021

Hull No. 123456789

Hailing Port: 123456789
10/06/2021 5:55 AM Pacific Time

a protection harness is a machine of restraints that prevent the wearer from falling from a peak. ... the harness lets in the person to connect themselves to a stationary object, consequently ensuring they will no longer hit the floor inside the event of a fall. Canada Immigration From Dubai

Safety
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Safety / Safety harness