Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Bottom Paint ??????????????

Author Bottom Paint ??????????????
Christopher Dube
Mansfield Texas

Boat Name: Gypsey Girl

Model/Year: C-22 1977

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Joe Pool Lake
03/02/2007 8:11 AM Pacific Time

Ok guys and gals, Its bottom paint time for my little gem. I know nothing about Marine Anti Fowling Paints. I am a mechanic , and a do it your self type. What I would like to know , is as follows. The bottom paint that is on the boat now is of the depleteing type. Rub it with a brush and it comes right off. I find this kinda weird , however I do understand the concept. I would like to know if I could switch to a hard type paint and just keep it clean. I mean a hard "bottom paint". Also, I have heard that Kiam Pepper mixed in with bottom paint prevents Alge. Would this be true? My boat is kept in fresh water in Texas. Any info is mucho welcome. Thanks. Chris.........
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
03/02/2007 11:50 PM Pacific Time

If you are going to trailer sail, keeping it on the trailer from season to season you would probably go with an ablative paint which sounds what is on there now. It's still functioning if it wipes off. If you keep the boat in the water all the time you will probably want to go with a paint that makes it easier to get rid of the critters and algee. There are so many bottom finishes, so unless we knew your exact circumstances such as cruising, racing, trailer sailor, permanent mooring, sailt water, fresh water, etc. it would be hard to recommend a product.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
03/03/2007 12:13 PM Pacific Time

Lynn, I think you will find that oblative bottom paint is toxic to barnacles etc. It slough off to aid in their not being there. Racers use oblative paint, and then have the bottom cleaned at least every two weeks. In fresh water, especially warm fresh water the slime problem can be worst than the salt water barnacles. That is one reason that I do not keep my boat in the water. (Beside the fact that it is illegal at Lake Arlington). In LA my 35' boat was cleaned every two weeks by a diver, and hauled every other year for a fresh bottom job; but we sailed just about every week end and on Wet Wednesdays in the summer. I think those who keep their boats in the water here in Texas have about the same routine. But a C22 is too small to not dry sail, in my opinion, and we cannot sail near as often here in Texas. My advice to Christopher, is to buy a float for about $1500 - $2500, and raise the boat out of the water, I think it will be cheaper in the long run and better sailing.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Tony Pacaro
Lansdale, PA

Boat Name: Provolone

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1988

Hull No. 14733

Hailing Port: Quakertown, PA
03/05/2007 6:09 AM Pacific Time

I keep my boat in the water at a fresh water lake marina during the boating season (April to November). Slime is the major problem. I have used ablative paints with anti-slime additives with great success. At the end of the season, a light brushing and rinse is all I need for a clean bottom. The ablatives are good for multi-season use and trailer storage in the off-season. Also, you can paint new ablative over old ablative. Not so with hard finishes which require additional surface preparation steps prior to new paint. I average 2-3 seasons between new bottom paint jobs. I find that at least 2 coats of paint are required. WestMarine CPP is a good paint that won't break the bank.
Kevin Murphy
Carmichael, CA

Boat Name: Booyah!

Model/Year: 1973 Catalina 22

Hull No. #2526

Hailing Port: Carmichael, CA
03/08/2007 4:59 PM Pacific Time

Tony makes a good point - whatever paint you have on the hull now will effect what you decide to put on it. If you change from an ablative to a hard, for example, there could be a problem with the new paint taking hold. Most of the paint manufacturers have information on their websites about which products can be applied over which other products.

I use an ablative paint and keep my boat on the trailer all season when I'm not sailing in fresh water. One reccomendation I followed from a fellow sailor was to paint the hull a totally different color than the old coat. That way, as the albative paint melts away, the old paint will start to show through so you'll get a good idea when to repaint.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Bottom Paint ??????????????