Safety

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Safety / Hand rails on cabin top

Author Hand rails on cabin top
Vernon
Chicago Illinois

Boat Name: Breakin' Wind

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 10614

Hailing Port: Anywhere I can lower my Keel
03/06/2007 11:38 AM Pacific Time

Ahoy
This might have been covered but it is as we all know hard to search this very resourceful forum, Anyway I am running my internal halyards back to cabin for single hand. I am including a small winch on ea.ch side of cabin for the halyards. In place of shortening the hand rails why not just mount them to the pop top with a continuous backing plate?
The pop top canvass might not fit correctly but other than that I can't see why it will not work.
I ask this carefully because I doubt if I am the first Catalina 22 owner who has thought of this.
Ok, so tell me why this is dumb

Thanks,
Vernon
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
03/06/2007 12:24 PM Pacific Time

Vernon,

If you have the original unshortened handrails on your C22, then I believe they are longer than the pop top. You may wind up cutting them anyhow.

Bob
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
03/06/2007 12:53 PM Pacific Time

Bob's correct, I moved mine a few years ago, The poptop is foam filled. When I moved mine after marking then drilling small holes, I used an allen wrench to hollow out the foam. Then filled them with epoxy making plugs where the screws came through. Re-drilled the holes and mounted the handrails.
Vernon
Chicago Illinois

Hull No. 10614

03/06/2007 6:56 PM Pacific Time

The longer than thought occured to me after I posted, not having my 22 nearby I couldn't verify that, thanks Bob

Ken so this can be done, how do you feel aboout the safety aspect? Is the arrangement solid? How did you back the holding screws? I was thinking of backing with a reasonable size fender washer on top of a 1/8" poly backing plate.

Ken do you use the pop top canvas? I was curious as to how the canvas might still work with the handrails added to the pop top.

Thanks for replys.

Vernon
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
03/07/2007 8:01 AM Pacific Time

Vernon, rather than move the handrails I have mounted the winch with sheet stoppers ahead on the pop top. Of course I don't use the poptop and just bolted it down tight. The deck organizer must be raised on a pad for a fair lead from forward, but that is easy enough.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
03/07/2007 12:39 PM Pacific Time

Vernon,

If you have to cut the hand rails to move them to the pop-top, I would strongly suggest you cut them an put them back in the original position. Taking one loop out at the aft end will give you plenty of room for small winches. Then you won't have to put more holes in your boat and will retain the classic look. If you don't like it, you can always move the rails to the pop-top later.

An option to cutting is buying some 4 loop handrails from CD. Then you can go all the way back to the original design. At a cost of course.

Let us know how it turns out.

Bob

Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
03/07/2007 1:37 PM Pacific Time

Vernon,
As I said earlier, I filled each hole making a 1" solid area between the inner and outer piece of the pop top. Both are quite thick! I've see one cut. The handrails do not stick up much more than the rails for the hatch. Although I don't use a cover there is no doubt there would be no problems.
I have pictures of it if you would like to see it. provide email I'll send them to you. The reason I moved them was because I added triple clutches to both sides.
Vernon
Chicago Illinois

Hull No. 10614

03/09/2007 8:07 PM Pacific Time

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice, Ken when you get a moment if you would e-mail pic to [email protected] I would appreciate it. I forgot to mention I am adding double clutches to each side and now wonder if I should not add a tripe to one side or the other, but that's another topic for a later date.
Fairwinds
Vernon

Safety
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Safety / Hand rails on cabin top