Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Original 1970 winches

Author Original 1970 winches
Tom O'Brien
Coronado, CA

Boat Name: Breeze

Model/Year: 1971

Hull No. 712

Hailing Port: Coronado,Ca
04/16/2007 2:36 PM Pacific Time

Does anyone have a handle that fits this winch. Looks like it slides into bottom half of winch. Does not connect at top like new winch handles.
Al Hughes
San Jose Ca

Boat Name: Aegir

Model/Year: C-22 1970

Hull No. 81

Hailing Port:
11/30/2009 9:01 PM Pacific Time

I have a 1970 Catalina 22. The winch handles slide into the slot in the top of the winch and lock into place. The end that slides into the winch is also the screwdriver that opens up the winch for maintaince. my winches are made of Marilium. (spelling?) I don't believe that these winches are made anymore.
fair winds AL
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
12/01/2009 12:25 PM Pacific Time

We have lots of miscl. parts for Catalina 22's where I work at the Sail Boat Shop, Lake Pleasant, AZ. We're closed today but I will check the benches tomorrow for you. I've seen what you're talking about and if memory is correct the winch handle looks like "flat stock" with a knob on it and inserts in the bottom of the winch. I've also seen winches with the same handle where it slides into the side of the top of the winch. Maybe if an original can't be found, one could be home made? Also, if you call Catalina Yachts and ask for the parts department, tell them what year boat you have, they can tell you what winch was supplied and give you specs. You might find that your winch is not an original, but a aftermarket add on by a previous owner. It's worth a try, as Catalina Yachts is very good at helping their boat owners.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Original 1970 winches