Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Cleat Installation

Author Cleat Installation
Jim Wiles
Blanchester, OH

Boat Name: The Loon

Model/Year: 86 C22

Hull No. 3203

Hailing Port:
04/18/2007 10:40 AM Pacific Time

Does anyone know how the forward cleats are attached on a '86 Catalina 22? I had to loosen one and now it won't tighten back up. I was afraid to take the screws completely out. Are they wood screws into a block or bolts with nut? If bolts with nuts, is there access to to the nuts?
Rick
Port Washington, NY

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10021

Hailing Port: Port Washington
04/20/2007 9:00 AM Pacific Time

Jim,

I dont know how they exactly attached them in the factory but, if they are loose you can do one of two things.

First - Crawl in the V berth open the anchor locker compartment take a small flashlight and see if you can locate the bottom of the through bolts. If you can:
- Are the nuts attached to the bottom?
- Can you turn with your hand?
- If any of these things are true enlist the help of anyone and have them hold a screwdriver top side while you tighten the bolt

Second - If you do not see the through bolts (I would be surprised if you didnt) I would recommend un screwing the cleat drill new holes hollow out the core around the holes. Tape up the holes fill with thickend expoxy wait for it to cure then redrill and bolt with new bolts big washers and nuts.

If you need to learn how to instal deck hardware try getting Don Casey's book I think its called Hull and deck repair there is an easy to follow step by step process to follow.

Good luck
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
04/20/2007 10:03 AM Pacific Time

Jim,
I'd be curious if your is a new style or not because you list your hull number as 3203 which I take to mean 13203 and this page:
http://catalina22fleet20.home.comcast.net/techtips/sailnumbers.htm
lists the new style with the anchor lockers as beginning with 13143. but that is built in 1985.

It sounds like from your description as the cleats are through bolted.
If I had this problem, I'd probably start taking the trim wood off to find the bottom of the bolts. I think that on mine (New Style) I'd have to take off the long boards that extend back to the bulkheads and then remove the boards at the very bow.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Cleat Installation