Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Are these gelcoat Blisters?

Author Are these gelcoat Blisters?
Patrick Reeder
Central Point, OR.

Boat Name: So B It

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/24/2007 7:36 PM Pacific Time

I have a 1985 Catalina 22. I bought the boat last summer and enjoyed great sailing until late October. When I bought the boat, I noticed what appears to be stains just below the boot stripe and before the bottom paint. This spring, when I uncoverd the boat to start prepairing it for sailing, I noticed that there were bubbles along the same area. Are these blisters?
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
04/25/2007 3:21 AM Pacific Time

More than likely. I have them and they are in the gelcoat where it is constantly wet. On the transom between the gudgeon and the bottom of the transom and also along the "Waterline" bottom of the boot stripe. This is caused by the fact that polyester resin gelcoat is porus and the water can get inside of it.

Patrick Reeder
Central Point, OR.

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/25/2007 8:12 AM Pacific Time

Is there a way to confirm this? Could I email you a picture for you to look at? please let me know.

Patrick
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
04/25/2007 9:32 AM Pacific Time

Hi Patrick,
Mine are relatively small. About the size of a pencil eraser. Some bigger some smaller. I would hope that you hull has a barrier coat. Mine does so the fix is only the area that ended up above the supposed waterline.
You can Email me if you wish:

stmiller_1405(AT)sbcglobal(dot)net

Here is a photo of some. They are easy to see here because the blue bootstripe gelcoat is underneath the white stern gelcoat and the blisters exxposed the blue.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v353/Bilbo_Baggins/Sailing/Blisters.jpg

Patrick Reeder
Central Point, OR.

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/25/2007 4:29 PM Pacific Time

thanks for the picture. The problem on my boat looks different, but perhaps it is just in the beginning stage. I will photograph my situation and email it to you. Thanks for the help

Patrick

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Are these gelcoat Blisters?