Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / 1987 Sink connection

Author 1987 Sink connection
James
Stamford, CT

Boat Name: "C" Student

Model/Year: 1987

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Stamford
05/02/2007 10:38 AM Pacific Time

Hi,

I have a 1987 C22. It has a built in sink in the cabin, and a freshwater tank that is stored below the v-berth. Can anyone inform me of how to connect these two things so I can actually use the sink. Also, can anyone tell me where the sink will drain into? Thanks for the help.
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
05/04/2007 7:24 PM Pacific Time

"Hi, I have a 1987 C22. It has a built in sink in the cabin, and a freshwater tank that is stored below the v-berth. Can anyone inform me of how to connect these two things so I can actually use the sink. Also, can anyone tell me where the sink will drain into? Thanks for the help."

Hi James I have the same year boat.
The sink is a pump type. There is a line that runs along the port side from the sink connection to the tank I believe. The line goes into the storage tank under the V berth. If there is water in the tank, you need to pump a few times to get the water pumped up to the sink. Maybe somethng like 20 times.

Since the sink drains out into the keel trunk below and into the water, I wouldn't want to use this sink with any hazardous soaps or detergents that pollute the water.
James
Stamford, CT

Hull No.

05/08/2007 12:21 PM Pacific Time

I have the hose there, am I supposed to keep the cap on the fresh water tank when using it, or do I take the cap off and stick the hose all the way to the bottom of the tank? The cap seems to have a piece of plastic in it that won't allow the hose to go into the tank itself.

Finally, There seems no way for the water to stay in the tank when full (either no cap, or the cap with the opening). It seems like hitting a wave would throw water out of the tank and into the hull. Is there a cap I can get so that I can prevent this?
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Hull No. 13971

05/09/2007 2:03 AM Pacific Time

I seem to have two lids/caps. One that completely covers the container and a second with a large hole in the opening that is like a slightly dog-legged tube. This one also has a smaller tube attached. I use that one. Put the water supply line in the hole all the way to the bottom and then it works. The long tube pretty much prevents the water from sloshing out. I leave the other cap in that same locker area in case I want to remove the container. This year I didn't.
I brought water from home in a big red plastic container of the same size with about 3 tablespoons of bleach added to keep the water purified longer. I fill the container on the cockpit floor to keep the cabin dry.
James
Stamford, CT

Hull No.

05/09/2007 12:34 PM Pacific Time

Great! I only have the cap with the dog legged tube but it doesn't have a smaller tube with it. I will modify the one I have to fit properly. Thanks for your help!
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Hull No. 13971

05/10/2007 5:11 PM Pacific Time

James,
I'm not sure what the smaller tube does (About the size of a drinking straw) but I think it's to reduce the low pressure that would happen as you pump the water out of the jug. So if the jugs isn't totally full it may not be needed.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / 1987 Sink connection