Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Bunk Replacement Advise Needed...

Author Bunk Replacement Advise Needed...
Bill Burnett
Miami Springs, Florida

Boat Name: Cat's Meow

Model/Year: C22 Swing Keel - 1976

Hull No. 6061

Hailing Port: Key Largo, FL
02/20/2004 5:41 PM Pacific Time

When I went to my boat last week I discovered a "nasty" indentation in my hull at the point where the rear vertical metal pillar supports the starboard bunk. I suspect the bunk is "soft" from being on the trailer for a number of years.
Tomorrow I plan to go to the boat and replace the bunks with new wood and new bolts. (Weather-proofed, of course.)
My question.....Is my remedy the correct course of action?
Thanks for any input you might provide.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/09/2004 8:38 AM Pacific Time

Bill

Ya, I think you wood is rotten. Once you put on new 2x6's, pressure treated, then double check to make sure the bunks are touching the entire hull and not balancing on a few spots. I actually had to add a 1/2 wood spacer under one section of my bunk because it was low and not supporting the hull. Good news is that the indentation will pop out once in the water and when the temp is high!.

Good luck

Robert
Scott Sauve
Newmarket, NH

Boat Name: LaVoile

Model/Year: 1989 Wing Keel

Hull No. 14609

Hailing Port: Sunset Marina-Portland, ME
03/09/2004 7:23 PM Pacific Time

I agree with Robert. Replace the bunk and you should be OK.
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
03/30/2004 10:06 AM Pacific Time

Hi Bill,

I put new bunk boards on my trailer also. The ones on the trailer were literally rotted in half. One thing you didn't talk about was covering the boards. I used some indoor-outdoor carpeting and bought some flooring adhesive from a local hardware store to glue the carpet to the boards. This will hold it on long after the staples have rusted away. Make sure to use treated lumber.

Greg

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Bunk Replacement Advise Needed...