Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Is it safe to moor a drop-keel C22 in salt water?

Author Is it safe to moor a drop-keel C22 in salt water?
John Wheeler
Sydney, New South Wales

Boat Name: Serene 2

Model/Year: Boomaroo 22 (C22 Mk I) 1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Sydney
05/11/2007 5:28 PM Pacific Time

Can anyone advise me on whether it's safe to moor a drop-keel C-22 for any length of time in salt water? We're finding the launch and recovery process a bit stressful from our local ramp (which is very busy), and are thinking of mooring it locally.

I imagine that the main issues are protecting the hull from marine growth and water damage (osmosis etc.), and keeping the keel and keel cable in good condition.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Can you recommend a hull paint or anti-fouling product and a method of inspecting the keel and cable?

Thanks for any input!

John Wheeler
Serene II - Boomaroo 22 (Australian C-22)
Sydney, Australia
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
05/13/2007 4:50 AM Pacific Time

Hi John,
I know it's being done all the time. I'm sure that you are aware that the salt water enviornment is more harsh and corroision is greater.
The manual states this:" Keeping a retractable keel model in salt water for lengthy periods is not recommended." BUT then goes on to say:" You'll face special problems if you decide to keep your retractable keel model in the water, especially salt water." and continues with what should be checked and maintained.
According to my C22 manual, you should make sure that you have a teardrop shaped zinc annode on the forward edge of the keel as close to the pivot pin as possible. Check regularly that this is there and not corroded away. The one on the outboard should be checked often too. They recommend keeping the keel up while moored or docked because growth can form on the cable. Periodic checking of the keel trunk slot for growth is necessary. Check the keel cable monthly during the season.

You will probably need to change the standing rigging more often as well as the electrical cables such as the mast wiring harness.

For a hull paint, I'd be sure to have some sort of epoxy barrier coat up to a few inches above the waterline but as for an anti-fouling it is a good idea to check with the locals in your area to see what's most effective since this can vary with the area and water temperatures.
George
Georgetown, SC

Boat Name: Blu Notes

Model/Year: 1981 C-22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Georgetown, SC
11/17/2007 6:06 PM Pacific Time

Hello. I keep mine in brackish water without any problems. Best advice is to use a zinc on the keel. It is a "job" drilling through that cast iron keel, but that zinc will help protect the entire keel system.
Joe Novello
Newport, Oregon

Boat Name: Tenderly

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No. 7259

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
11/18/2007 7:47 AM Pacific Time

John,

I live in the Pacific Northwest and keep my boat in the water year around. Before my initial launch I sanded all the paint off the bottom of Tenderly and applied two coats of barrier coat and two coats of Petit UnEpoxy Plus. I checked the bottom regularly and had minimal growth, as in nothing but a thin layer of slime that came off in a good sail. After two and a half years I pulled the boat just because I thought it would need a new bottom job. To my surprize there was nothing needed. I added two more layers of bottom paint anyway and expect at least two more years in the water without worry.

One note, my boat is a '77 fixed keel so my information would only be helpful as to the antifouling issue.

Best Regards,

Joe

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Is it safe to moor a drop-keel C22 in salt water?